The Heart of a Nightingale

WBE: 504
WAE: 565

((6th of Morning Star, 4E 203))

((RUSSETPOV))

I walked through a dark hallway of stone, a chill in the air pricking at my skin. I did not breathe, an odd sensation.

"Come with me, hunter," a strong voice commanded. I turned to see the form that I knew to be Hircine, a kind of smile on his deer head.

"That's our mortal!" an oddly accented voice harrumphed that I realized was Sheogorath. There was something about him, why would he say our?

"No. This mortal belongs to me." I was enveloped in a cloak of darkness that I knew to be Nocturnal. She was warm and cold at the same time. "She has openly pledged herself to serve me in life and death. This one is mine." I felt an icy breeze, and at once, every presence was gone save the Mistress of Shadows. She released me from her grip. I turned and stared up at the Daedric Princess. It was difficult to keep her gaze, and I cast my eyes to the ground.

"Thank you," I managed to choke out, dipping my head in reverence.

"You've disappointed me, young Nightingale. You showed such promise. Shame your life faded so quickly." I was dead...?

"I--" She pressed her hand to my chest, and a fierce pressure went through. My stomach burned like acid, forcing me to cry out. She repeated the motion, and I looked straight into the face of darkness. Her eyes were like the moonless midnight sky.

"Do not make me regret my decision," she growled. "You will be mine. I will not take you now, but do not think I bring from weakness. I show you mercy today... but I could always alter my choice." I briefly saw a flash of Mercer before shrouded claws dragged him away, kicking and shrieking in pain. "You have escaped Death once. Do not think He will be so easy to fool again." A thud resonated in my heart, and another followed. A single word sent me spiraling through the black ground.

"Russet!"

...

I couldn't see, I couldn't hear. I could only feel. I could only feel pounding on my ribs and searing pain on my side. The sensation was something akin to holding an open flame to my exposed skin.

"Russet, don't die, please... please... Don't do this to me again, lass." His voice brought me back. I coughed up a lungful of water, and my heart began to beat. Soft fingers trailed across my cheekbones.

I recognized his touch. "B-Bryn..." He squeezed my hand tightly, almost to the point of pain. I slowly opened my eyes to his familiar face, soaked and red. Tears ran down his cheeks, and his green eyes were bloodshot. Long wet strands of red hair hung down.

"You're alive," he whispered softly, almost as if he didn't quite believe it. "You're alive, by the gods, you're alive!" Brynjolf clutched my hand to his chest, and I didn't object. Perhaps I didn't have the strength to object, perhaps I simply didn't want to. I closed my eyes again. I was alive, and I didn't know why. I didn't deserve it.

"Brynjolf..." I couldn't see, I couldn't hear. I could only feel. I could only feel sweet relief. I could only feel the comfort of another. I could only feel the warmth of his lips against mine.