On The Roof

The stars really are beautiful. That's one thing I actually liked about this godforsaken world. No matter where you went, the sky always had stars. I lay on the roof of the Manhattan newsboys lodge lookin up at the sky. Hatten nights were always calm, very different from the day time. I heard some shuffling beside me, I looked over to see my older brother Jack climbing up to the roof.
"Heya Jackie"
"Hey Chris. How come yous ain't sleepin?"
"Didn't wanna"
My brother chuckled.
"No one'll eva doubt yous me sista"
I chuckled as well. I sat up as Jack sat beside me.
"Jus thinkin bout are parents. What happened to em again Jack?"
I had an injury when I was 7. Fell off a train car, lost my memory, sadly I never got it back. Luckily the only person I needed to remember at the time was Jack. My brother sighed.
"Theys left cause they didn't got enough money to look after us. So they left to go out West and find a place for all us to live"
"Right"
I reminded myself.
"I can't wait to get outta er Chris"
"I dunno Jack... New York ain't that bad"
"You kiddin?"

Jack:
They say folks is dying to get here, me I'm dying to get away.

Chris:
To a little town out west that spanking new.

Jack:
And while I ain't never been there, I can see it clear as day. If you want, I betchu you can see it too. Close your eyes come with me, where it's clean and green and pretty and they went and made a city outta clay. Why the minute that you get there folks will walk right up and say welcome home son welcome home to Santa Fe. Land of crops, splitting rails, swapping tails around the fire ,except for Sunday when you lie around all day. Soon ya friends are more like family, and theys beggin you to stay.

Chris:
Ain't that neet

Jack:
Livin sweet, in Santa Fe.

"It can't be that goid!"
"Oh no? Come on Chris, picture yourself in them fancy hats an the big dresses"
"Hell no Jack!"
"Alright then picture yourself ridin on a most beautiful horse in the biggest field yous eva seen!"
"That's more like it!"

Both:
Santa Fe, you can bet, we won't let them bastards best us, we won't beg no one to treat us fair and square

Chris:
There's a life that's worth the livin and im gonna do my share

Jack:
Work the land, chase the sun swim the whole rio grand just for fun!!

Chris:
Watch me stand! Watch me run

I started to get discouraged at the thought of leaving everyone.

"Hey"

Jack:
Don't you know that we's a family, would I let you down?

"No way"
I shook my head.

Jack:
Just hold on kid, 'til that train meets, Santa Fe 

Jack pulled me into a tight hug as the sun began to rise over the New York skyline. We climbed down the fire escape and got back into our bunk's attempting to get some form of sleep.

* - * - * - *
How'd y'all like the first chapter? Ik that song i from the Broadway version. But don't worry, that's the only one