Scabba

Chris’s Pov.
The next day Spot and I were running hand in hand down to the Manhattan square, just in time for the wagons to come out. I expected to have Jack come storming up to me and complain about how dangerous I was last night and all that. Instead I saw Mute pulling on Race’s shirt sleeve, and Race run up to me, pulling me into a tight hug. 

“Jeez Chris where ya been!?” he exclaimed.

“It was late so I stayed with Spot” I explained 

“Well thanks fa lookin afta her Spot” Race nodded.

“No problem” Spot nodded, and the two spit shook.

“Hey where’s Jack?” I asked Race.

Although I didn’t get a reply because the wagons then came out. We all started to chant.

“Stop the world! No more papes!”

We watched as the wagons went on. Everyone was yelling, and angry. Davey ran up to me shaking me by my shoulders. 

“Chris come on help me!” He yelled.

“Alright I ain’t def!” I shrugged his shoulders off of me.
I helped calm down the newsies before heading to the front of the crowd with Spot to see the new scabs. 

“Hey hey hey break it up, break it up” Spot helping me pull two younger boys apart.

I felt someone tugging on my shirt. I looked down to see Mute, he looked a little scared. I gave him a small smile before picking him up and setting him on my hip, carrying him with me.

“Where the hell is my brudda” I sighed as Spot and I made it to the front of the crowd.

There were cops in front of us so we wouldn’t start a fight.

“Hey hey Chris, Race, come here” Spot beckoned.

“What?” Race asked.

“Tell me I’m seeing things just, just tell me I’m seeing things” Spot exclaimed.

I followed his eyeline until I saw… oh my-

“No you ain’t seeing things that’s Jack” Race mumbled.

I was in shock. He was all clean and dressed like a scab. What the hell! What happened last night!?

“What’s he doin?” I sighed.

“He’s dressed like a scabba!” Spot exclaimed.

“Jack? Jack look at me will ya” Mush walked up “Come on it’s me Mush. Look at me what are ya doin Jack!”

I was trying not to cry, and I thought I couldn’t get anymore mad at him. He completely lied to us and abandoned us.

“This ain’t happening!” Kid Blink yelled “This ain’t happening what are ya doin Jack! Come on what are ya doin?”

“Hey what is this! Where’d he get them clothes!” Boots exclaimed.

”Mr. Pulitzar picked em out hisself” Weasle smirked at us “A special gift, to a special new employee” 

“I don’t believe this” I mumbled.

“What? He sold us out!” Spot yelled.

“Look at him in his little suit. You bum! I’ll soak ya!” Race yelled.

“Enough let me get my hands dirty. Come here ya dirty rotten scadda!” Spot yelled trying to break through the cops.

I held him back, trying to calm him down, even though I was gonna explode.

I didn’t yell, I didn’t know what to say. I just stood beside Davey, both of us looking at Jack with hurt and betrayal. Jack wouldn’t look at us.

“Oh! You wanna talk to him?” Weasle looked at Davey and me “Come on, come on, sure. Go right ahead” he beckoned, and the cops let us through.

I was furious. I set Mute down on the ground before walking over with Davey.

“So this is why you didn’t escape last night?” Davey started.

“Yeah” Jack mumbled.

“You’re a liar” I gritted through my teeth “You lied about everythin!”

My eyes were glossy, I was trying not to cry, it was really hard not to.

“You lied about our folks bein out west! Cause he’s noy out west!” I yelled.

“You didn’t even tell us your real name!” Davey yelled “You didn’t even tell Chris” he mumbled.

“So? What ya gonna do about it Dave?” Jack shrugged, then looked at me “Sis?”

“I don’t understand you” Davey shook his head before walking back to the crowd.

I just stood there. I didn’t know what I would do.

“What you gonna cry Chris?” Jack questioned.

“I don’t even...” I trailed off, tears were begging to fall from my eyes, but I wouldn’t let them.

“Alright so let me spell it out for ya” Jack started “You see I ain’t got nobody tuckin me in at night like you” what? He’s gone crazy ”It’s just me, I gotta look out for myself, an I can’t have you draggin around behind me”

“Draggin? Draggin! Oh for shit sake Jack your mental! And ya had the newsies!” I yelled.

“Oh what did bein a newsie ever give me but a dime a day and a few black eyes! You know I can't afford to be a kid no more Chris! For the first time in my life I got money in my pockets, real money! Money you understand!” he yelled in my face “I got more on the way and as soon as I collect I’m gone, I’m away!”

“Good!” I yelled “That’s good because We don’t need you! I don’t need you! Because all those words you said, those were our words Jack, mine and Daveys!”

“Ya but you never had enough guts to put all of em across did ya?” he grumbled.

“Well I do now” I sighed.

I turned to walk away but quickly turned around and socked Jack right in the eye, before I was escorted back to the crowd.

Spot wrapped his arms around my waist as I started to sob into his chest. We all yelled at Jack as he walked through the crowd.

“I trusted you!” Boots yelled.

“Seize the day huh Jack!” Race yelled.

“He’s foolin em, so he can spy on em or somethin!” Les exclaimed. We all sighed, some rolling their eyes “Yeah yeah that’s it. He’s foolin em”

“Yeah he's spyin on em kid” I sighed. Scruffin up his hair. 

Mute ran up to me and jumped into my arms. I saw he had a few tears in his eyes. I sighed and pulled him closer to me.

“Chris let’s go back ta Brooklyn” Spot sighed.

I looked down at the boy clinging to my shirt. I sighed looking up at Spot. Spot just nodded, meaning we could take him with us. I gave him a soft smile as we walked back. 

Spot had an arm around my waist when we reached the lodging house. Most of the boys were still out and about. We climbed up to the attic. When we got there Mute was fast asleep in my arms. I sighed and set him down in Spot's bed, pulling the small quilt over top of him. I walked over to Spot, still a few tears in my eyes. 

“You sure do love that lil kid” He sighed.

“Well he’s the youngest Hatten newsie” I sighed “I don know. I guess I always felt like I needed ta be his mudda or somthin”

“Well I think yous doin a real good job” Spot smiled as we sat on the floor.

I smiled and sat in between his legs. I sighed and leaned back into his embrace, falling into sleep for a short while.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Thanks to lliizzzziieerr for adding me to that reading list :p <3