King of New York

Spot’s Pov.
Chris walked off into Tibby’s with a smile on her face. I was hoping to God that I put it there. Wait, was I? I don’t know, there’s something about that girl. The first time I saw her, when she came to the dock. She instantly caught my eye. I’d had tons of girls want to be mine, but I never liked them back. And contrary to popular belief, but I’m not a womanizer. I don’t even know where that came from to be honest. So… do I like Chris? No! No I can’t! Spot Conlon doesn’t have those feelings. I mean, yeah her striking blue eyes, could sink me in deeper than the night sky, and her beautiful blonde hair, short and jagged, probably cut it herself. But it still flowed with every step she took. Plus her passion and her leadership really made me fall for- I mean! Like her… as a person. But she was also kind and so loving. I was watching the Newsies the day her and Crutchie got sent off, to see how serious they were. They way she stayed to help the younger Newsies get safe, and how she tried as hard as she could to save Crutchie. Alright fine! I can’t stop this… Chris Kelly, has me completely around her finger… but I can’t let anyone find out.

Chris’s Pov.
I walked into Tibby’s and quickly found everyone else.

“Hey Zippa!”

Boots yelled. Jack instantly noticed my presence and came over to me.

“Where ya bin?”

“At Daveys”

I chuckled, trying to play it off. Jack rolled his eyes and lifted up my hand… which ironically was holding onto my bandana wrist. Uh oh.

“I picked up Davey, n yous weren’t there”

My eyes widened. What do I tell him! Suddenly Spot came in… shoving his Newsie cap in his back pocket? Oh my gosh! 

“Heya Jackie boy”

He walked past us going to sit by Race and a few other boys.

“Ah so that’s where ya went”

He raised an eyebrow. I looked at my shoes as though they were the most interesting thing on the planet, and nodded.

“You ran all the way out ta Brooklyn!? Chris you know I don’t like ya-

“Look Jack, I'm not a lil kid no more! I can watch out for ma own skin! An Spot should be here, I wanted him ta come”

Jack wasn’t sure how to react. Eventually he sighed.

“Jus, please don’t go alone again”

I nodded before pulling Jack into a hug. I heard the door open again, and Denton walked in.

“Hey fellas!”

He announced, looking particularly happy.

“Oye!”

I shouted standing up, although I wasn’t actually annoyed.

“And Chris”

Denton chuckled, and so did a few others. Denton walked up towards our table with Race, Mush, Davey, Spot, Les and a bunch of others. 

“Hey hey. Big time”

Denton smiled, slapping a newspaper on our table. Jack and I were quick to hold it as everyone crowded around us. 

“Hey where’s me pictcha, where’s me pictcha!”

Spot exclaimed over my shoulder making me chuckle. I shoved his head away and continued to stare at the picture of us, on a newspaper. 

“Hey look at ya Jack, ya look like a general or somethin”

Mush laughed pointing at Jack in the picture