Part 15: Evalyn.

TW: Needles

*****

"I'm just going to have to suck it up, we'll test the needle on me."

Deaton had one already, he didn't give an explanation as to why he did and Stiles gave up asking pretty quickly.

They did it at Derek's, Stiles lying on his side on the couch. Derek held his hand the whole time.

"Sti." Derek caught Stiles' attention. Stiles wasn't entirely sure when the nicknames had become a regular thing but he was glad they had; it sent a calming shiver through him. "Are you sure?" Stiles nodded.

"If you keep asking then I might back out." He chuckled but it held no mirth, "I'll be fine just... don't let go." Derek squeezed his hand as if to say: "I would never."

Lydia stepped forward, "Ready?"

"Let's get this over and done with."

"Alright." She smiled and took Stiles' other hand. She pushed his flannel off his shoulder – the one facing the ceiling – and his shirt sleeve up before saying, "Don't tense." Then the needle was pressing into his arm and his grip on Derek's hand was tightening until his nails pressed into Derek's skin. He pulled useless air into his lungs, pressed it out through his teeth and then... it was over.

As soon as Lydia had stepped away, Derek pulled Stiles into his arms. It was only then, when he felt Derek's shirt grow wet, that he realised that he was crying. "It's okay, it's over now."

"Then, obviously, we need to find Evalyn. Derek and I will go to Deaton's to get on that."

Stiles pushed the door to the vets open and called out for Deaton. They'd phoned ahead to check that he wasn't away or busy.

"In here." Following his voice to the back, they were greeted by the sight of a map of America laid across the large metal table. Stiles stepped forward to examine it for no reason other than to have something to do.

"Are you ready? Deaton asked as he walked in, a silver-coated pin pinched between his fingers. Stiles couldn't help but wonder, again, why he owned so many things coated in silver.

"As ready as I'll ever be." Although a pin wasn't the same as a needle, it still wasn't pleasant. He held his hand out, already knowing how this would work. Derek moved next to him, gripping his other hand again. Stiles glanced over at him and as he did so Deaton pricked his finger.

"Rub your finger on here." He handed Stiles a necklace; hanging from it was a small gold cross. Before his finger healed, he did as instructed, smearing his blood over the cross. "Now place it on Beacon Hills and say her name as it said in the book." Stiles nodded, thinking back to the book and the words below the title.

Finding Beacon Hills was easy, he coiled the chain around the cross on the map and said, "Evalyn, I, as your fledgeling, wish to know your location." The chain moved, the cross trailing after. It stopped suddenly. When the map went up in flames, Stiles lept back, right into Derek's chest. All that was left was the area around the cross.

"You okay?" Derek asked, curling an arm around Stiles' waist.

Stiles laughed, "Yeah, I'm fine. I just wasn't expecting that." Derek leaned forward, around Stiles, and picked up the piece of paper.

"That's only an hour away," Stiles stated. "I thought they would've gone further than that."

"Once we have her position, we'll hang back and Derek, you'll go out to talk to her."