8- Subtle Hints

Today was the day! Maddy had spent the whole week packing, owling everybody for updates, and sitting around wishing she could leave

Today was the day! Maddy had spent the whole week packing, owling everybody for updates, and sitting around wishing she could leave. She cherished her family, of course, but it was going to be the first time she had ever been at someone's house for more than a day. Before Maddy left, she dropped in on Scorpius and said goodbye. He hugged her and told her to behave, causing the girl to laugh. She grabbed her things and went downstairs, where her mother stood by the door. She had a wrapped parcel in her hand.

"What's this for?" Maddy asked, setting her things down.

"Oh, you know. A parting gift. I think you'll like it, and if you need something to do, it will occupy your time."

"Thanks, mum! Can I open it now?"

"If you'd like to. I don't mind either way."

She thoughtfully unwrapped the package. It was a book on charms. One that Maddy had been wanting for a while. Her parents had said it would be too advanced before. The girl slipped the book into one of her bags.

"Oh, thank you!" She said, embracing her mother. Maddy was a few inches taller than her, getting her stature from her dad.

"You're welcome. Don't forget to thank your father, too. I picked it out, but he paid for it."

Maddy laughed, "I won't, I love you, mum."

She met her father in the garden outside, where they would be disapparating. He hugged her before lecturing her on everything she already knew. He told her that if she ever wanted to go home, she should send an owl. If she ever needed anything, she should send an owl. And lastly, he reminded her that there would be no monkey business.

"I know, dad. I'll let you know how it's going, don't worry."

"Worried? Why would I be worried?" It sounded like more of a statement than a question.

They talked about several more elements before deciding it was time to go. They apparated with a weird sucking sensation, and then, they arrived. The Potter's house was impressive with a large garden in the front. Maddy hugged her dad goodbye, and with a kiss on the top of her head, she was off. The girl walked up the cobblestone path and knocked on the door.

It swung open right away and was welcomed immediately by Lily. She had been waiting with her face pressed to the window. Maddy set her things down and threw her arms open.

"MADDY I MISSED YOU!" The petite girl shouted, jumping onto her.

Maddy swung her around and laughed, "I missed you too, Lils!"

Maddy spotted Albus, who had walked down the stairs hearing the commotion and pulled him into a hug as well. She had missed them both. She saw Albus a lot more than Lily and decided then to start owling her.

"Where's James and Tate?" Maddy implored, looking around and checking for an ambush.

"Tate couldn't come. He said his mom had the baby. It's a girl!" Lily tittered on.

"That's fantastic! I'll owl him my congratulations tonight!"

"James is out in the back playing Quidditch by himself. We'll let him be in peace," Lily explained, smiling that familiar smile. It was exactly like her brothers.

Lily showed Maddy where she would be staying, a quaint, sunny room between a bathroom and Lily's own. The small girl was ecstatic about having another female around. She bounced down the hall, pulling Maddy behind her by her hand. Across the hallway were James and Albus with another, somewhat messier bathroom in between.

Maddy then got the full tour, being shown where all of the bathrooms were, the kitchen, dining room, etcetera. Lily explained that her father's office and the master bedroom were off-limits while everything else was fair game. The last place she was shown was the basement. It was beautiful. Finishing, she told Maddy that Harry and Ginny were at work and wouldn't be back for a few hours.

A few minutes later, they heard the back door open and close. Maddy asked if they could try to scare James, and Lily was all for it. They hid in a closet by the living room and peeked through to see where James was. Maddy counted down.

"Three, two, one..." The girl whispered before she and Lily jumped out and screamed.

The boy flinched, but only slightly. He then let out a deep breath with his eyes closed.

James opened his eyes and smiled, crossing the room to pick Maddy up in a hug.

"You should know by now, I don't get scared," He murmured.

She smiled against his chest, with butterflies in her stomach.

"We'll see."

Then Lily determined it was a suitable time to start fake vomiting, yelling, "EW YOU GUYS ARE GROSS! Well, Maddy isn't, but wHY ARE YOU EVEN TOUCHING HIM? HE'S NASTY!"

James let Maddy down, stuck his tongue out at his sister, and said, "I love you too."

He then proceeded to chase after her, catching up to the small girl quickly and giving her a playful hug that was more of a head-lock. James gently threw Lily on the couch before turning to Maddy.

"So what do you want to do now?"

Lily is a Sass Queen™. That's on personification.

Bubble bubble, cauldron brew

Copy my work and I'll pinch you :)