2

"Bex? Bex you ready?" Milly calls out to me as she enters my home using her key.

"Almost give me two seconds!" I yell back. "I had to change since dinner turned into dinner and drinks with a DJ set." I say, sticking my head out into the hallway from my bedroom.

"Oh, hush. You have not had a night out in ages. You're excited and you know it. What are you wearing?" She asks, walking down the hallway her heels clicking.

I glance up as she enters my room, sliding the leather mini skirt I've selected for the night up my legs and over my hips.

I tuck the thin black turtle neck into the skirt and slide my feet into a pair of black spiked heels.

My eyes trail up my sisters body, she's paired a purple tube crop top with a pair of high waisted, black, skin tight shorts and nude heels.

"You look hot." I remark and she strikes an over exaggerated pose with a playful laugh.

"Thanks! We haven't been out in a while so when Justin's friend invited him out to his new club I thought it would be a good time." She shrugs nonchalantly.

"I'm always down for a night out." I sigh.

"Yeah right, you hate crowds!" Milly laughs at me and I release a sarcastic breath through my nose.

"Yeah but, I can't find my soulmate sitting at home binging on Netflix, unfortunately." I offer in rebuttal and her lips twist sideways as she nods in agreement.

"Guess that's true." She says back as I grab my purse and follow her out the front door, locking up behind myself.

"Hi, Justin." I greet the blonde as I slide into the back seat.

"Hi, Bex. How are you?"

"Fine as always." I retort.

"You'll be better once we get some queso in you." He laughs, giving me a knowing look and the corners of my mouth shift upwards into a polite smile.

I love Milly and I'm incredibly happy for she and Justin. Their looming wedding a constant reminder of the best outcomes of the soulmate system. Being around them always is just a little much sometimes.

Nothing makes me feel quite so alone as being with my sister and her amazing fiancée, witnessing their love which holds everything I hope my own love someday will.

Justin turns the radio up in his car, some pop song blaring through the speakers as he and Milly sing along.

I am acutely aware of the sting from the spot on my shoulder that holds my soulmate tattoo. I try not to read too much into it, not wanting to get my hopes up again just to have them dashed like they always seemed to be. But who knows, maybe tonight will be the night after all.

Our favorite Mexican place is a hole in the wall a passerby probably wouldn't even notice. We're completely overdressed for the establishment but this is not our first time here before a night out so our usual waiter, Alberto, doesn't give a second thought to our dress as he approaches.

"Long time no see." He laughs, the lilt of his voice slight.

He's making fun of us since we were here yesterday for lunch.

"You want your usual?" He asks, glancing to each of us before offering a smile that feels genuine with our confirmation and heading back to the kitchen. "I'll have it right out." He calls behind him.

I prop my elbows on the table, my chin resting in my hands as I wait for him to return with my queso.

My face lights up at the sight of the dip and chips.

"Alberto, have you found your soulmate yet? Because I tell you every time you bring me my queso I swear I feel the sparks everyone talks about." I chuckle.

An amused smile coats his face.

"I haven't, but you know my tattoo is a quote written in Italian. So unless you secretly speak it I think we are doomed to be star crossed lovers." He grins.

"Well, damn." I mutter, clearly teasing. "When you find her can I come to y'all's house for dinner? Your kids are going to be eating good between you and an Italian."

"Gotta find her first." He says backing away from the table with a grin.

I wouldn't normally pick at him like that but as much as I eat here I consider Alberto a friend at this point. I did know what his tattoo was, we'd discussed ours at length once when I was in here on a slow day alone.

His tattoo says "Tu sei quello che stavo aspettando" which translates to "you are the one I have been waiting for." It's also accompanied by a boat, a large intricate sailboat and he has a theory is soul mate is somehow involved in sailing.

I eat through an entire basket of chips before our food comes cleaning my plate quickly, I'm always unable to stop myself when it comes to the food here. It's too good to go to waste.

Milly and Justin clear their own plates and we pay Alberto before heading back to the car.

"So what's the deal with this bar?" I call up to Justin from the back seat.

"Um, my friend David just opened it and he's got a friend who's in a pretty popular pop band that's home from tour and offered to do a DJ set to help him get some publicity. He invited me and I figured it sounded like a good time." He responds, making eye contact with me through the rear view mirror.

I prop my arm against the window and lean my cheek against the palm of my hand as we drive the ten blocks or so before arriving at the club.

It's still decently early—only nine—but the bar is already full. Whoever this guy doing the DJ set us must really have some pull to have the place looking like this already.

I follow my sister and Justin to a booth that's been set aside for us by David. They slide into the booth and I glance around at all of the people, a knot already growing in my throat.

I really do have a disdain for crowds.

"I'm gonna go get a drink!" I say to Milly, I lift my voice just loud enough to be heard above the ruckus of the party around us and she nods, her eyes meeting mine as she confirms she heard me.

I turn and head for the bar, my nerves going haywire and my fingers trembling. Damn, I really need a drink.

I slide up to the bar between two other waiting patrons, rapping my fingers against the bar top as I wait for the bartender to notice me.

He finally gets to me, raising his eyebrows questioningly in a silent ask of what he could fix for me.

"Gin and tonic?" I ask as I hold his green eyes gaze with my blue eyes.

He nods and turns, finding the bottles needed and retuning a moment later with my drink. I slip him the money for the drink and lift the clear glass to my lips, taking a long sip and letting the liquid burn my throat all the way down.

I turn back to face the room full of people I don't know. Yes, liquid confidence is definitely the best move for tonight.

An: what do you think of Bex so far?

Any guesses on who that DJ is 🤔

Can't wait to share this story with you 😌

Ily
Sav 🖤