4

Slivers of light break through the curtains of my room and hit my eyes.

I groan and roll over in my bed, a soft sigh releasing from my mouth  as the dull ache in my head sets in. I close my eyes and breathe deeply. Why the fuck did I drink so much last night?

My mouth is dry and the change in position hasn't helped my throbbing head so I reach blindly for my beside table until my hand comes into contact with the bottle of Gatorade and pack of Tylenol my angel of a sister has left for me.

I place the pills on my tongue and force them down with the help of the orange flavored drink. I sigh as the dry taste of my mouth disappears.

I replace the bottle on my nightstand and rub at my eyes, my hands on top of my knees from my seated position.

I close my eyes and huff as the inked spot on the back of my shoulder stings. I stand slowly from bed and step to the bathroom, turning around and tugging at my shirt to lift it up and give me a view of my tattoo in the mirror.

It's darkened. I didn't know it could get any darker. I can't decide if I'm excited that meeting my person is now closer than ever or annoyed because I had really thought last night was going to be the night.

I roll over and grab my iPhone off the charger, shooting Milly a text to thank her for getting me home and in bed last night before I scroll through my social media.

Another girl from high school met her soul mate last night. Same guy that was just passing through and dropped in for a night out with his buddies.

Fuck. Why couldn't that have been me?

I throw my phone down on my bed and bury my face in my hands. I'm just so fucking frustrated by this whole system.

When would it finally be my turn?

I try not to let myself linger on the question. It only ever makes me upset and increases my impatience so I force myself up and out of bed, heading for the shower and hoping the hot water will alleviate my annoyance at my life's current trajectory.

I stand under the hot water for half and hour and I have to admit, as I step from beneath the steady stream, shutting it off and beginning to towel off, I do feel slightly better.

I don't want to sit around my house all day, alone and stewing over my loneliness, so I head for my closet, grabbing a black strapless romper and laying it out on the bed. I return to the bathroom and blow dry my hair. If I'm going to be out in public I guess I'll at least look presentable.

Though, it would be just like me to meet my person while looking like a slob.

By the time I'm finally dressed with my hair and makeup done I don't even know that I want to venture outside anymore.

I let out a frustrated sigh and grab my phone. I flip through my contacts and call Victoria. She's become one of my closer friends as everyone else has paired off with their soul mates and each of us have remained single.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Vic! You busy? I could really use some girl time." I sigh into the phone.

"I'm yours!" She replied easily and I smile, relieved I won't be cooped up all alone today.

"Meet you at the coffee place in twenty?" I ask.

"See you there!"

"Cal, get you we've got practice in an hour. Get your ass up." Ashton's voice yells and I startle awake taking in my surroundings. I'm in his guest room. Fuck.

" 'at time is it?" I ask groggily.

There's no reply and I groan, rolling to look at the alarm clock I know is on the night table to my right. 10:52 am shines back at me in bold red letters.

I roll myself up and cradle my face in my hands. I don't remember much about last night after UD come down from the rooftop. I remember settling in at the bar and having a few and then spending the rest of what I remember from the night next to the boys for Mike's set.

I stand and dig through the drawer of 'borrowable' clothes Ash keeps in his guest room for days like this until I find a plain black t-shirt and a pair of black shorts. I slide my feet into the bait of converse I'd started keeping over here after I'd woken up in this room a few too many times.

"Can we get coffee?" I mumble out, still attempting to rub the sleep from my eyes as I walk downstairs and into Ash's kitchen.

"I'm sorry. Was that a question meant for me?" He asks, his eyebrows raised in an amused expression as he giggles.

"Fair enough, mate."

"All your shit's at the place or do we need to swing by your house?"

"Umm, yeah I should be good." I reply after taking a moment to think. My heads pounding and I open the fridge and grab a bottled water, chugging it quickly as Ash quirks just eyebrow at me.

"You all good? It's been a while since I had to bring you home with me."

I'm quiet as I consider how to answer the questions he's posed. Am I good? If I'm being completely honest, no. I'm sick of being alone. Sick of only being able to focus on one thing. Sick of forever being the odd man out. But, how many times can I bitch about the same thing without driving all my friends quickly. I huff absently and raise my eyes to meet Ash's, forcing the emotion from my face.

"Yeah, mate. I'm all good."

He gives me a hard stare and I hold my breath. My facade is good but Ash has known me a long time and he's one of the few people who can often see past my defenses.

If he does in this moment though, he doesn't say anything.

"Alright then. Let's go." He turns for the door his keys jingling and I let out the breath I've been holding. "You're gonna wanna make your coffee a double by the way, there's a reporter coming to practice today."

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me." I groan, following along behind him out to his car.

Great. As if today wasn't starting out bad enough.

An: I apologize for the filler 😔

Ily
Sav🖤