9 - Joint Enterprises

Vestra sat in her office, a space decorated with portraits of old Greek gods waging war and winning battles.

A year ago this space was empty, bare. White walls glowed in the space as she would stare at herself in her mirror, gazing at the electrical burns that scarred her arms. Those were times of patience. Those were the days were she would dream of taking Lyle Kane down and ruminate on her plans to create an enlightened world. 

A world that could finally be free. 

Now, she sat in her office planning on how to finally complete her vision. 

The office was now decorated with artifact's and technology. The farthest wall from the entrance was Vestra's Victorian desk, behind it a vintage throne loomed eerily. It was decorated in red-violet velvet that cushioned the seat and back. The wall behind her was covered in oil paintings portraying fights between legendary heroes and monsters and in both corners two compact dressers stood opposite from one another. The wood was cracked and old and the handles looked like brown gnarled hands. Sitting on either dresser, purple poppies blossomed. 

Vestra sat on her empty desk gazing at more famous oil paintings. They gave the room a unique character she thought. They were powerful. Her glance then moved toward the entrance. Surrounding the doorway were dozens of computers screens transmitting camera feeds of her base as well as parts of the city. 

She then looked to the wall right of the entrance. 

Sitting neatly on an aged Victorian rug, sat her cheval glass mirror. It reflected the other wall. It was bare and showed the void of the room. 

Elegantly, she stood up and paced to the mirror. She wore a black cloak that hid her monstrous face and grotesque arms. The black armor she was wearing on her legs and torso covered the rest of her scars. Blonde hair trickled out from her hood. 

It's the only thing that has remained perfect. She sighed. 

Tempest had this hair. When she had watched the battles between the Complex and the League, she saw her daughter fighting so bravely, hair flying in the wind. She had resembled all of the heroes Vestra had dancing on the wall next to her. Tempest fought for herself. She fought for change. 

I will help her continue change. She won't be brainwashed. 

Unconsciously, Vestra gripped her arms, tightening her hands the more she thought about her daughter. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you. I will get you back. Though Vestra's hood covered her face in shadow, she could see her eyes starting to glow a neon purple. The more she thought about Tempest, the brighter her eyes became. Vestra could start to feel her own desperation, and turned her back from the mirror, eyes dimming back to their normal state.

She didn't know what to feel. Damn you Lyle Kane. 

Suddenly, Vestra's thoughts were interrupted by a guard standing at the entrance. Vestra stood tall once again and turned to face the man at the door. 

"Enter," Vestra said confidently. 

The man did so and Vestra raised an eye brow as she realized it was Oliver entering in his new uniform. Little had changed, but on his chest he now wore the symbol of second, a purple spiral resembling the eye of a hurricane. He also wore a new helmet. It was black with a tinted violet visor that covered his eyes and the back part connected to his suit. 

The visor slid up into the helmet as Oliver paced into the center of the room. Vestra slowly walked behind her desk and sat on her throne. She licked her lips and spoke proudly. 

"What is it?"

Bullseye crossed his arms behind his back and gave a friendly smile to his leader. "Gordon came through."

Vestra tilted her chin up and couldn't help but scoff in surprise. "I didn't think he had it in him."

"He is under your control."

"Yes he is," she paused pronouncing each syllable, " but people in Gotham have a way of escaping me."

"Batman can't hide anymore."

"Tell me the report," Vestra said eagerly, leaning forward in her throne.

Oliver raised his forearm in front of him and used his other gloved hand to press a key pad located on his wrist. A red screen projected upwards and portrayed images of the Complex and League fighting one another. 

Oliver cleared his voice and began to explain. "After we took over, and the League disbanded, the only surviving members unaccounted for were Superman and Batman. Their alias's are still unknown even after questioning the turned members of the Young Justice. Batman was sure to keep everything guarded and well monitored. However, even thought we didn't get specific a alias from Dick Grayson, we were able to see images of his mind. Wayne Enterprises was often a repeating image, so, as you know, we had Gordon investigate the owner, Bruce Wayne. Gordon was able to use some of his connections from when he was on the police force and his sway as the mayor to see his finances. Every month, Wayne is making withdrawals of $10,000 or more. We haven't been able to track this money, but we were also able to see that he pays a man under the pseudonym A.P. every six months. This A.P. also comes up when we analyzed Wayne's mansion. Whoever A.P. is, has been at Wayne manor for a while and may be the key we're looking for to get through to Dick and find Batman."

"Good." Vestra stood and walked to Oliver. She touched the key pad on his wrist and switched the screen off. Her eyes started to glow again as she said her next order. "Find A.P. and follow them."

"Yes, Madame." Oliver's visor came back down and he exited the room. 

Vestra stood still in the middle of the room. She could feel her scars starting to ache as her heart beat grew faster. She slowly turned her head to look back into the mirror. 

"You covered you tracks well, Batman." She clenched her fists. "Tempest is mine."