Chapter 7

Sam falls asleep with his head on Gabriel's chest, the angel's arm around him lightly. Gabriel can feel the hunter's every breath, slow and steady as he sleeps. He looks so much younger when he's asleep, so much more innocent, like he doesn't have a care in the world.

But Gabriel knows that's not the case. His care is the world.

Gabriel, being an angel, doesn't have the option of sleeping. In hindsight, he probably should have mentioned that to the boy. He feels very Edward-Cullen-ish just watching him sleep like this. It's a bit late for that, though, and he can safely assume that Sam would not want to be woken up for something as simple as this. Sleep is a foreign concept for hunters, and if there's one thing Gabriel hopes to bring him, it's the comforting fact that he's safe when they're together. Gabriel would do anything to protect him, at least until Lucifer comes searching for his vessel and there's nothing left for him to do.

He can't help but stare at the sleeping boy's face. This is Sam Winchester? This is the boy that has both Heaven and Hell up in arms? The only boy with even the slightest chance at stopping the apocalypse? The boy Lucifer is going to ride around like a freight train until the end of his days?

The last thought makes him sad, though he knows it's necessary. He doesn't want Lucifer to take Sam, but he's the vessel. Even Gabriel can't stop that. It's his destiny, even if he doesn't know it yet. It's only a matter of time until Lucifer reaches out to him, and Sam will have no choice but to say yes to him. As much as it pains Gabriel to think about it, he will have to say goodbye soon.

He just has to hope it isn't tonight, because he's not ready to give Sam up yet.