Six

"I'm..." I began to say, but he stopped me with a glare and twitch of his hand.

"Don't," he said, quiet yet firm. "Don't apologise one more time. You haven't done anything wrong."

I don't know where the courage came from; one moment I was scared he was about to hit me, next I blurted out the words before I could hold them back.

"Then why do you look at me like that? Like you hate me worse than anything else in this entire world?!"

He blinked several times, stunned, and opened his mouth as if to speak.

"I..."he started to say, then clamped his mouth shut and, flinging wide the door, fled.

I turned away, cursing myself softly under my breath, and went back to the kitchen to wash our dirty dishes. I felt numb inside, almost as if shouting at him had taken every last remaining ounce of my strength.

Ami looked at me, concern playing across her narrow, perfect features.

"Are you sure you're alright?" She asked.

I glared at her, unable to pretend anymore. I had tried to change the subject and let it go, but she kept insisting.

"I am fine. Not that you care anyway."

Hurt filled her eyes. They were hazel, unusual for our race.

"Camila, you don't have to be cruel. You know I would never want anyone to hurt you. I'm your best friend."

"You used to be," I said softly. "But I don't have any friends anymore. I'm on my own, and I have to learn to deal with that."

She blinked, confused.

"But you have Aaron, don't you?"

I laughed at her.

"You don't understand do you? You wouldn't because everything has always gone your way."

Her eyes widened.

I suddenly felt a presence at my back, and turning, was met by a wall of black.

"Yes," said a familiar voice, and the sound of it sent a thrill of fear and joy down my spine.

"She does have me."

Ami smiled a fake smile. It made me want to hit her so bad that I didn't even hear.

"I'm glad to hear it," she said.

"You may leave now," Aaron told her, and I looked up at him in surprise. "Please."

"Of course. I wouldn't want to disturb two newlyweds more than I absolutely had to," she joked, with a forced laugh.

Aaron showed her out, and only when they'd both gone did I remember his words.

'She does have me.'

What did that mean? Why would he say that when it was so clear that he hated me?

He came back in, and we caught each other's eye; the corner of his mouth twitched in amusement.

"Remind me to never let her in again," I said, forgetting the formality between us, forgetting that he didn't like talking to me.

He smiled properly, a smile which didn't show his teeth, but lit up his dark face.

"I agree," he answered. Then he frowned. "But won't you get lonely?"

I couldn't hide the grin which exploded across my lips.

'No!' I thought. 'Not when you're here, and especially not when you decide to smile at me!'

To him I simply shook my head, afraid to let my true thoughts out.

He stiffened up again, his expression changing, the coldness back.

"Good," he grunted, and went into the kitchen.