𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆

❝ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒎𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 ❞

-ˋˏ ˎˊ-

Somewhere, up high, the stars glistened, and the moon gleamed like a lustrous pearl, but an ethereal veil of fog cast across the Seoul cityscape obscuring all that light. Lamp-posts lined the charcoal streets, the vibrant hues of the city killing the dark, painting the alleys and streets with a blazing golden light that pierced through the fog.

Kim Jongin let out a slurred laugh, dazzled by the lights encompassing him as he leaned against a friend, inebriated. The emerald strands of his hair fell down his forehead, sticking against his skin as he clutched onto an opened eight-pack of beer. The plaza was bustling with large groups, so luckily no one was paying attention to the large group of teenagers drunkenly running down the street. Jongin just rolled his eyes; they all looked old enough to drink anyway.

"Oi, Jongin! Get back here!"

The boy looked around to locate the voice and noticed Junmyeon attempting to reach for him. When did he get so far from the rest of his friends? Not only was he the youngest there, in light of his mother's esteemed notoriety, he also couldn't be caught doing anything unlawful; even something as minor as underaged drinking could wreck his social appearance. The media would have a field day if they connected everything back to his father. Moreover, in a course like his, being on the right side of the law was necessary — at all times. After all, it was hard enough to get into the hero course, and it was harder still to succeed in it.

"You need to watch where you're going," Junmyeon spun Jongin around, sniffing in the autumn wind. The pair stood at a secluded corner of the street as their troupe of friends gathered and waited for them. They were embarrassingly loud, but Jongin laughed it off. Summer break was lonely without them, and he was glad they could fulfil their annual tradition of hanging out on the night before school started again.

"I'm sorry Myeon it won't happen again..." Jongin's voice trailed off as he stared at the street signs across the road. A bittersweet smile fell on his face.

"Is something up?" Asked Junmyeon, following Jongin's gaze. The sign read Yeouido Park, and Junmyeon shot the younger a confused look.

"My dad took me there all the time as a kid; I think I'm gonna visit." Jongin scratched the back of his neck, eyes not leaving the sign for even a second. His gaze flittered back to his friends, who were waiting for the two of them to return, "You guys can leave me behind, it's fine."

"Are you crazy? You're a total lightweight, so you're already tipsy, and we're all going back to the dorms," Junmyeon seized Jongin's arm, pulling him along, "If you're out past curfew, you'll be in trouble on the first day of school tomorrow."

"Junmyeon...this means a lot to me. You know what my dad means to me. I'll even use my quirk to get back to the dorm without being caught." Jongin resisted, planting his feet firmly on the pavement, unwilling to cooperate. The older boy gave him a glance of concern yet understanding; the contradictory emotions were apparent in his mellow eyes. Junmyeon moved his mouth to talk, but could only muster a sigh of sorts as he placed a hand on Jongin's shoulder.

"Teleport into your bedroom, not downstairs, or they'll see you on the CCTV camera." Advised Junmyeon, giving Jongin a half-smile as the younger beamed, waving goodbye frantically. Jongin crossed the road, watching as his friends walked back home, but then his attention shifted.

He couldn't think about them anymore, no matter how hard he tried, as he stepped into Yeouido Park. A culmination of emotions brewed in his chest, blended so well that he couldn't decipher any of them anymore. When he stood in that park, with gold and scarlet leaves swaying in the wind, his childhood was bounding back at him — a childhood he could barely savour.