29 Toulouse's Bridge

POV Jack

I'm squeezing my bleeding hand as I go inside my home. "You were out late again," I heard Emma saying in the darkness. It got me startled, "Geez Ems! Don't hide in the dark!" I shouted. I went to put on the lights.

"Haha, Jack. I don't know if it's dark or not," Emma said bitterly and I sighed my apology. I ruffled my hair nervously, "You should go to sleep."

Emma sighed and rolled towards me with her chair. "Would you read to me? You haven't done that in a week," she sounded a bit sad and disappointed. I bit my lower lip, "Yeah. Just hold on for like fifteen minutes and I'll come to your room. Okay butterfly?" I grinned and messed up her hair. She laughed and pushed my hand away.

Emma started to smile to me, "Thank you Jack. I would love to hear the second book in the Hunger Games series today." I chuckled, "Sure Ems. You ship her with Peetah, don't you?" I teased her. Emma's cheeks blushed. "Yeah, why wouldn't I?" She snapped and started to move towards her room.

"Remember Jack, fifteen minutes," she shouted to me. "Yea, yea," I yelled after her and shook my head. Then I run upstairs and quickly pull off my hoodie. I threw it to thrash as I go to bathroom mirror. "Hmm, just a scratch," I whispered as I look at the gunshot wound. Done by Elsa, my ex. Well, not many of my books characters can say that their exes shot them.

I sighed and opened up medical cabinet where I took out some disinfectant. I gritted my teeth as the cleaner was sending burning sensation on my wound. After doing precise cleaning I wrapped my hand up and put a new clean hoodie on. "Much better," I say in front of the mirror and smile. Tomorrow I can explain her everything. I hope that it works, that the device gets broken. My plan needs to work.

Emma was already waiting for me in her bed when I finally got there. I opened up the second book in the series and started to read. "Jack," Emma interrupted me and I lift my eyes from the book. "Yep?" I asked.

"I missed your reading," she whispered sadly. "Yeah, we just started this series when I got lost into my work," I laughed. Emma hummed, "It's not that but the fact that you've been so distant lately."

My cheeks blushed and I struggled not to tell her about everything. About my double life, how things went with my first girlfriend ever. It's the fact that I just cannot tell this to Emma, her heart probably would break and then my heart would be shattered.

Emma exhaled loudly. "I know Jack, you need to go and continue your art while you have the drive," she smiled and her hands were playing with her blanket. "Yeah. Thanks sis, I love you," I whispered warmly and leaned over her. I kissed her forehead and brushed some of her hair away from her face.

"Good night beautiful butterfly," I said while standing on the doorway. "Bye brother," she said warmly and I closed the door behind of me. I felt a piece in my throat as I was lying to her. No, I won't do art like she believes that I'm doing. Heck, I'm not even doing my usual stuff. I'm just a spy of the police, someone who can get information about Nightmare's whereabouts and give them in.

This new thing that I'm doing has cost a lot. It cost my one true love, it even has taken time from me and my sister. My best friend hates me and many others. I cant tell how things are since I'm forced to wear a tracking and recording device on me when I'm going out from my home. My phone calls and messages are followed, even my emails. Not speaking of the hidden microphones in my house. The police special forces thought of everything.

One thing that I didn't lie to Emma tonight was the fact that I needed to go. I needed some sleep before Toothiana would pick me up. She was my contact and we pretended to be together so our constant contacting to each other wouldn't be suspected by anyone. She's a nice person actually but a bit moody. Yeah, she is pregnant. One time she wanted chocolate and unfortunately just when we were passing Elsa's sister's chocolate shop. It ended up badly. I've also had to go and buy kids stuff with her. She uses these contacts of ours to her advantage. It's causing people to hate me more apparently.