Chapter 10

Keval used the vartula around his index finger to open a portal to the Daanavlok. He wasn't looking forward to it but he had to give Ainas his report. He had to be quick. He hadn't expected the other end of the portal to lead him to the she-devil's chambers. He certainly hadn't expected to find her sitting on her bed, smirking at him as if she was expecting him.

'I just won a bet with myself,' She tilted her head, exposing her long and slender neck.

He kept a dull face, 'You're so lonely these days, Ainas?'

'Of course. You see a certain someone is out spying,' she tried to flirt with him, 'I am especially fond of him.'

He rolled his eyes, 'I need to hurry.'

'Yes, tell me.'

He told her everything, the mourning and about the meeting that followed. He skipped the part about the strange girl who was like him. Ainas didn't need to know about that, he told himself. She snickered and folded her arms. It pushed her breasts. He ignored her advances like he always had. 'I should leave now.' He didn't wait for her to respond, 'Oh and next time, I won't be coming here to deliver the report.'

She could've commanded her braid to hurl up at him and catch him but he was gone.

Once he was back in his room in the Yamlok, he was glad he was done with the report and that it was short.

She didn't even stand a chance.

He was satisfied with himself but the work wasn't done. He was in charge of training the Rakshaks. He couldn't believe that some of them were left out. They hunted monsters but they had no idea of how to do the same when it came to the daanavas.

He snickered. 'So careless,' he mumbled to himself.

His room wasn't as grand as the one he had in the Daanavlok. It was plain and windowless. A simple mat on the floor with a slab of stone for a pillow. The sight of such a bed made him procrastinate resting.

He stepped out of his room, pushing the curtain at the entrance of his room. Another thing he didn't really like. The kila had no doors, just plain saffron curtains. They could've chosen a subtle colour, he told himself.

The training had already started.

Like they'd discussed, the Rakshaks were being trained in shifts and those who weren't training were either on watch duty or were given some time off to replenish.

What was so different about the daanavas that they had to be specially trained to take them down?

It was simple. Though to Keval the major population of the daanavas were dim, they were trained to fight, to damage as much as they could unlike all the other creatures the low ranking Rakshaks hunted. The daanavas didn't act on animalistic impulses, it made them unpredictable.

'Hey, Keval!' He heard Abhay call him. He found the big boy making his way toward him. His brow raised involuntarily as he folded his arms. He wished for a moment of peace. Everyone wanted to check upon him.
He seemed to be the talk of the station.

He forced a smile, 'Abhay.'

'Have you seen Shlok?' the big boy asked as he swung his gada and placed it over his broad shoulder.

Keval didn't flinch. He shrugged, 'No.' He faked his curiosity, 'What do you need him for?'

'We're going on a hunt to the Prithvilok. I can't leave without my brother-in-arms!' That was the end of the conversation. Abhay left him alone.