Chapter 13

'Anamika, are you in there?'

The voice belonged to someone Anamika least expected. It had jolted her out of the sorry pit that she was digging for herself in her psyche. She dried her tears with her hands and sprung to her feet. She pushed to curtain aside only to be surprised again.

'Dhurya?' She frowned, 'What are you doing here?'

The former Nayak looked nervous. He tried to look stoic but it wasn't working very well. She didn't point it out.

'Rohini sent me to inform you that the Yadhuts have arrived. They have ordered all the Nayaks to assemble-' He paused and she knew there was more coming. She shook her head, 'You should've told me that sooner,' she interrupted him. She grabbed Nashtra and tied her around her waist.

'Anything else you'd like to tell me?' She asked.

He nodded, 'Rohini will be expecting me.'

It didn't come as a surprise. Rohini had always favoured him over anyone else. Anamika was getting tired of it. Her outburst did not render her incapable. Reminded of her loss, she looked over at the courtyard. It was empty. The stains of the daanav blood were gone too.

There were more scouts on the towers. Rakshaks trained out of fear.

Anamika shut her eyes when she felt tears trying to break free.

'I'm glad you're the Nayak, Anamika.'

Dhurya's compliment caught her by surprise. He looked at a little uncomfortable under her gaze. He shifted on his feet, 'You should go.'

Baffled, she nodded and made her way to the portal room. Those kind words were unsettling but she appreciated them.

The Rakshaks eyed her as she made her way to the courtyard. A few were kind enough to smile. She ignored at the piercing gazes and entered the room.

The room was plunged into silence.

All eyes were on her. She didn't miss the look of frustration that crossed Rohini's face but the older woman quickly hid it under well-enacted concern. Anamika did not find the need to apologize for being late. She spotted five Yamdhuts in the centre and recognized one of them.

Kasa.

He was the first to speak up. He got to his feet and gave her a small smile, 'Anamika, I am glad you could make it.'

She fought the emotions that tried to surface and did her best to mirror the genuine smile she received. She greeted them with her palms pressed against each other. She wanted to ask where Yoshanhara was but she knew better than to ask such a question surrounded by so many other souls.

He beamed at her as he took his spot.

She sat on the ground with all the other Nayaks. Rohini was seated behind her. Keval was seated in front of Anamika. He gave her a tight-lipped smile which she returned.

'First and foremost,' Abhay began, 'I would like to thank Anamika for doing what she did-'

'She saved us,' Nandan interjected, aggravated by the Eka Nayak's ignorance, 'The least you could do is acknowledge it!'

Some of the other Nayaks shared his thoughts.

Anamika felt a surge of pride going through her but immediately felt guilty. It wasn't her victory.

'Alright! Alright!' Abhay waved his hands to get their attention. He looked at her, his face softened a bit, 'Thank you for your heroic act today.'