Chapter 12

Keval had befriended everyone. 

He had become social. 

It was tiring for him but the smile on his face never left, even if it was fake. The change in his behaviour had surprised the Rakshaks and the Yamdhuts alike but they took it positively, never doubting it, or so it seemed to him. He had sent so many reports to Ainas over the past few pehers borrowing scrolls from the portal room. 

Sneaking scrolls out was tougher than he had expected it to be.

Quiet recently, there was news that the Yamraj had summoned his children, so the Yamdhuts had to leave the station. Before they left, they blessed the station, to provide it protection from external attacks. They left Yoshanhara, Anamika's friend with the Rakshaks.

That was the last report he'd sent Ainas.

He was in his room, resting when he felt something scrape his cheek.

His eyes shot open.

Looming over him was the face was Ainas'. She had a seductive smirk on her face. He propped up on his elbows and backed away. She didn't let him go too far.

'What are you doing here?' He hissed, angrily, 'You'll ruin everything!'

She caged him between her arms. He felt uncomfortable. She leaned her weight on one arm and used her other hand to trace his jawline, 'I missed my little pet,' she purred.

His eyes were trained on the still curtain. Every time a shadow crossed, he felt a little of his control slipping. It was too much for him to tolerate. He had to stop himself from yelling at her. 'What are you doing?!' He whisper-yelled at her.

She pouted and pinched his nose.

He frowned and moved his face away from her fingers. He sneered her name. His gaze still fixed on the doorway.

He prayed for none to enter.

He had worked too hard. He had endured too much to let her throw it away so carelessly.

She giggled at his aggravated his state which caused his temper to flare. Before he could give her a piece of his temper, she hushed him. She eyed his lips.

Feeling unnerved by her lingering gaze, he cleared his throat, 'Ainas, what are you doing?'

'What I do best,' she murmured in his ear, 'Go to sleep.'

Keval wanted to protest. His consciousness felt like dead weight. His urja slipped away. His vision blurred but he saw her profile slipping away. He saw her move away. She never once turned her back on him and then she vanished.

And no sooner than she disappeared than he stopped fighting.

He fell asleep.

***

There was a cry of help that came from the north-east tower.

Anamika was on scouting duty. Alone she stood at the north-west tower. She hadn't seen anything that could've elicited a cold cry like that from anyone. Leaning against the stone wall and taking the support of the gigantic torch, she squinted her eyes to see what must have caused it.

It didn't take long to identify the intruders.

One of the Rakshaks was thrown from the tower. She gasped when she felt another many of them came together to save the falling Rakshak. They'd managed to catch him. Relieved, she fixed her gaze on the accused.