Chapter 39: The Night

After about a week, Dr. Lee felt that my injuries had healed enough for me to return back home. Jeremiah had not visited since he walked out on my treatment. He claimed it was because he was busy with work but I knew better. Knowing my husband, he would avoid addressing how he felt for as long as possible. He had always been reserved when it came to his emotions. I thanked Dr. Lee for treating me, even though I was the reason the city was almost in ruins. Ivy and Selena drove me to the abandoned building that housed Jeremiah's hideout underneath, much to their confusion.

"Harls, are you sure you're going to be okay here?" Ivy questioned, concern evident in her voice.

"I'll be fine. Jeremiah will pick me up soon. You know how he is, always obsessed with security." I lied, knowing that not even my best friends could know the location of our hideout.

Ivy and Selena didn't seem convinced but they helped me out of the car anyways. Dr. Lee had upgraded me to a walking boot for my ankle, but I still wasn't supposed to put weight on it for another double of days. Selena handed me my crutches and Ivy slipped a small bag of medical supplies on my shoulder. I took a deep breath and looked at my friends. Once again, they had seen me at my worst and helped me through it. I couldn't figure out what I did to deserve these amazing women by my side.

I opened my arms out to them and we all embraced. Given recent events, I presumed that Jeremiah would keep me in lockdown and I wouldn't be seeing my friends again for a while. I made a mental note that I needed to keep these girls in my life, and Jeremiah and I would have to come to a compromise on having visitors. I waved to my friends as they drove away, and then I used my crutches to make my way inside. My muscles were still weak and healing, so getting around with crutches proved to be much more tasking than anticipated. I took a break to catch my breath when suddenly a voice cracked through the silence.

"Hey." Jeremiah voiced, standing right beside the secret platform to lower us down into the hideout.

He looked unfairly attractive. He was dressed in a dark navy suit with a green undershirt and purple tie. I tried not to focus on the way a dark green strang of hair fell out of place where he had slicked his hair back. It was nice to see him like this, but his disheveled and broken appearance from the other night still haunted me.

"Hey." I said shyly, and I was about to hobble over to him before he stopped me.

"Here, I've got it." He said as he made his way to me and stretched out his hand.

I got lost staring into those unnaturally green eyes of his, and it wasn't until his eyes flicked to my crutches before I realized what he wanted.

"Oh, right." I said softly as I handed him the crutches, and I struggled to balance on one foot.

He then scooped me up with his free arm, carrying me bridal style while somehow still holding onto my crutches. I instinctively wrapped my arms around his neck, still staring at him. He stood above the platform leading to the hideout, and as we were lowered he shot me a shy smile.

"What?" He voiced and I shook my head.

"Nothing. I'm just glad to be home." I sighed as I settled into his arms.

The smile that grew on his face was one of the purest things I had ever seen. But it left just as quickly as it came, his face turning serious as we entered the conference room. Jeremiah's men were still tirelessly checking monitors and analyzing maps. I felt him tense beneath me as we walked passed the men. They all began clapping and he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Yes, mother is home. Now get back to work!" He ordered as we entered the elevator.

Once we were alone again, he relaxed a little.