[I] Props & Mayhem (1)

{TRIGGER WARNINGS: Alcoholism, self-harm, attempted suicide, angst}

Silence was required during nights like these: nights that were supposed to bring peaceful bliss only to be disturbed by an entity or ten right outside their window. Silence. There were times he needed it for himself.

Silence was required in the Burial Mounds. In the name of rest and sleep. And for Wei Wuxian, in the name of scouting for the creatures that lurk in the dark - for the sake of making sure his people were able to sleep that night even when he himself wouldn't. He was never an early riser either way.

Wei Wuxian sat on top of a high tree branch, wood blackened by nature of the Burial Mounds. His hand swirled around Chengqing as he waited. For something. Weight shifted nearer to the bark, fragile wood crack. It was a miracle the branch managed to support his weight in the first place.

Clearly, he had waited for too long. Usually, the wood wouldn't creak even if he waited for a whole full hour. It was either that he had picked a faulty branch or he was gaining weight. He had no doubt it was neither.

The night has been quiet. Too quiet. This was the Burial Mounds, Wei Wuxian wouldn't believe there was zero threat even for a second- he lived there for three whole months before, he knew nothing good came about the mass graveyard.

Much to say, Wei Wuxian was disturbed.

"Young master," a soft voice called.

Wei Wuxian gazed down to Wen Ning - living, breathing, soft-hearted, dead. Even after his death, Wen QiongLin is still the same. Even when his skin was now paler than the living and his eyes were nothing but white - Wei Wuxian and the others could tell that in those dead eyes, Wen Ning was still the same dead or alive.

If it weren't for Wei Wuxian, maybe Wen Ning could've been more alive than he was now. Perhaps he would still live like the rest instead of being another monstrous creation Wei Wuxian had built. Wen QiongLin was a kind heart who deserved better, but he was unfortunately associated with a monster.

"It's best if you went back," Wen Ning told. "I'll take over. You better go to bed."

"But the night is still young!" Wei Wuxian protested. "I'll sleep in the morning like I usually do. Why don't you sleep instead? I'm fine on my own."

"Sleep is unneeded by the undead."

Ah, that's right. Because sleep itself was death in disguise. You couldn't die when you're already dead.

"Young master," Wen Ning called his name out once again. "You've been doing this every night, it's best if you rest. You have things to do tomorrow, after all..."

Wei Wuxian gazed at Wen Ning again. He was oddly determined to put him to bed. Well, he was related to Wen Qing, so why was Wei Wuxian even shocked by the similar stubbornness.

"I'll be fine, Wen Ning," Wei Wuxian reassured. When he heard a creak from the branch below him, Wei Wuxian jumped down to join Wen Ning, who still wasn't convinced that he would make it through the night without sleep. "I knew what I signed up for, and I'm prepared."

Wen Ning shook his head. "Young master Wei should take care of himself more... Cleansing the Burial Mounds isn't easy."

No, it isn't.

Especially when you don't have a golden core and doing it all by yourself.

Cleansing the Burial Mounds was impossible, but he lived his life trying to achieve such. Wei Wuxian would rather die than to give up.

"I'm not really one to take care of myself," Wei Wuxian admitted. "I guess I'll rely on you and Wen Qing for that matter."

"Young master Wei..."