Part One

Lea: Chapter one

Lea stands outside Study Hall, asking Jackson if this is the correct place to go. She doesn't realize he's a ghost. He tells her he's looking for a friend. Mr. La comes by and asks why Lea is standing by herself. Lea realizes she's done it again. She apologizes and heads inside, feeling a little subconscious since she's new to the school. She sees a girl sitting by herself typing into a school computer. She sits next to that girl and introduces herself. The girl ignores her, but then the fire alarm goes on.

As they walk outside, Lea asks the girl if bringing the school computer outside is such a good idea. The girl just shrugs. Once they get outside, the girl sits down and gets back to typing. At times the girl looks up at Lea and Lea realizes the "dreaded question" will come up. Sure enough, it does. The girl asks where Lea is from. Lea explains how she was adopted from China by a Bosnian woman who grew up non-denominational Muslim and is now non-practicing. She starts talking about how she isn't sure what to consider herself when she notices the girl isn't listening. Lizzie laughs and introduces herself, saying she just wanted to see what type of person Lea was before getting close.

Lizzie suddenly narrows her eyes and points across the yard to a boy and girl. Lea recognizes Noah from science and English class. She tells Lizzie Noah seemed nice and mentions how he politely corrected the teacher when she called him Megan. Lizzie claims Noah abandoned her for Sophie. They're allowed back in and it's called a false alarm. They get back to their seat when Lea sees the notebook. She sees a girl around her age stuck inside. Lea asks Lizzie if she sees the girl in the notebook. Lizzie says no. Lea picks up the notebook and opens to a random page. Lizzie is peaking over Lea's shoulder when the notebook says hi. Lizzie shouts.

Olivia: Chapter two

Olivia sneaks out of the house and gets the bike leaning against the wall. She's glad to have a break from the responsibilities of being an adult and caretaker of the notebooks. She bikes to the beach, excited for what the night will give her. She arrives at the boardwalk and parks her bike. As it is late and the start of school for families, it's empty except for Ross. She sees him and they talk about how naughty they are sneaking out so late. Olivia complains about April.

She tells him she'll be at the grocery store on Thursday. She bikes back at home and is confronted by April. She tells April that she just needed a quick exercise and that she was getting tired of sticking around the house taking care of the notebooks. April asks her to not leave the house again and heads to her room for bed. Olivia, annoyed by her sister's overprotectiveness, throws one of the notebooks to the ground. The notebook says, "ow" and Olivia apologizes.

On Thursday morning, Olivia and April head to the grocery store. She tells April she'll get the produce and meets Ross in the back. They kiss but are interrupted by April. April reprimands her sister, telling her she can't be kissing who already has a wife and son. Olivia starts feeling sick and throws up. She had her last period at the end of July and had had sex with Ross.

Olivia: Chapter three

She tells Ross she's pregnant a few days later at a restaurant in Boston. It's a simple, pizza store and they both order cheese. Ross is surprised but pleased. He says he'll hurry up and divorce Evelyn, his wife. Olivia asks if she can meet Evelyn and Ross tells her no. A little hurt, but she doesn't let it bother her. They finish dinner and Ross says he'll take her somewhere special.

Using the key to the hotel he works at, he takes her to the basement and the two kiss. Olivia decides that the most beautiful of places are sometimes the most ugly. She says goodbye to Ross and heads to meet her friends as she told April she would. She meets up with Virginia and Holly, two young adults around her age, who she works with at the restaurant. They know she's pregnant.