Part Three

Olivia: Chapter thirty-two

Olivia goes to the beach with Marigold. She had bought strollers and other baby items previously with April before the argument. She is walking along the boardwalk, thinking about the job she applied for at the local coffee shop and how Ross has been frequently visiting. She is wondering who will take care of Marigold if she gets the job when she sees Virginia and Holly.

Olivia waves them over and they ask her about the baby. She then asks if they would be willing to babysit Marigold in the future. Virginia explains how she's going to college in Los Angeles soon and will be leaving the Buchtton area. Holly says she'll probably be too busy working at the restaurant and taking fashion design courses. Olivia then remembers the night when a racist comment was directed at her friends. She realizes how hurtful that must have been and apologizes for not doing more. They thank her and she invites them over. As Olivia leaves to walk back home, she sees April watching her from the boardwalk.

The three friends eat dinner around the TV. Virginia wants to watch the news, but the other two don't. Eventually, Virginia goes to the TV and changes the channel herself. They learn about Carl being shot and see Ross in an interview. Virginia and Holly talk to each other about the racism in the scene, but Olivia is only focused on Ross. She tells the others to keep an eye on Marigold and runs out of the house.

Lea: Chapter thirty-three

Lea, Sophie, and Liz hang out at Sophie's house. Liz explains that they could try using the machine she and Mr. La used. Liz says that's how she found Ross the last time. Sophie asks how they got it to work. Liz explains how they made the machine search for the material of a Lapel's hair. Mr. La figured out that there was something unnatural about their hair. He wasn't sure what, but it wasn't everyday hair. Sophie says the machine is worth a try. They call Noah's parents to say that he's having an extended sleepover at the Lapel's. They then head off to find using the notebook. The only hair it seems attracted to is Sophie's. Liz admits that it only works short distances.

They head into the center of town, Lea had brought along Eve. She talks to Eve about spirits. She thinks about Leila and Horst and the history of death that surrounds the lake. Eve admits that there's something weird about the lake, but she's not sure what exactly. She remembers seeing a golden cage and feeling trapped then being lifted out of the water by a strand of Marigold's hair. Sophie overhears them talking and explains how her grandmother once jumped into the lake.

Lea is interested, but Sophie says her grandmother refuses to talk about what happened. Eve says that Susan went with Olivia and explains what Susan described to her. Olivia had seen the net and many spirits stuck inside it, but no matter what she did, the net wouldn't budge. Lea is intrigued and wonders if breaking the net would release the spirits in the notebooks. Liz waves them back in reality and tells them she hasn't got any new signals. Sophie sees a stand outside the high school selling dance tickets. Sophie buys four, leading to discomfort among Liz and Lea. They head back to Sophie's house. Sophie and Liz start arguing on how to proceed. Liz thinks they should search a different area while Sophie believes it's time to tell her mother. Lea, realizing it's hopeless to stop them fighting, runs outside to the lake and jumps in.

Lea: Chapter thirty-four

Lea swims through the lake. She sees a vision of a dark room and as she swims forward, the net Eve described comes into view. She gets a flashback to back when she was five and fell in the lake during a canoe trip with the Lapel's, Nick, and Enisa after Eve's funeral. Nick and Enisa are talking about how Nick lost both his wife and daughter to this lake. Enisa says she wishes Eve had been able to meet Lea. Nick agrees. Lea is leaning over the boat as she believes she sees a fish. She topples forward into the water. She has her eyes open and can't see much through the murky water. The next thing she knows, she sees a black room and a woman. She pushes the woman backwards into her mind in fear. Enisa and Nick lift Lea out of the water.