Part Two

Olivia: Chapter seventeen

Olivia takes care of the notebooks while April is at school. She talks to Susan, asking her questions about the lake. She learns that Susan had lived in Buchtton during the 1920s as a young black girl. When she was eight, she had been fishing at the lake with her brother. A few European American boys jumped on them and pushed Susan into the lake where she drowned. Olivia grows in determination to save the notebook journals. She combines with Susan and heads to the lake.

She jumps in and finds that she can breathe underwater. Her vision turns black and she can't see Susan. As she swims, she sees a glowing net, full of spirits collected over the years. She tries to tear the net, but nothing works. Finally, she swims back to the shore. She realizes Susan went dormant. She screams, trying to wake up the spirit, but nothing works. Susan starts disappearing in her mind. Finally, Olivia closes her eyes and pushes the blackness forward until Susan appears. Relieved, they head inside, promising not to do that again.

April comes back and Olivia explains what she learned. April is mildly interested. Olivia notices and questions her about it. April tells her how she submitted her art to the Gloria Forrest Art Award Contest. She then explains how they have to go to New York next month to see all the other pieces on display. Olivia is annoyed.

Eve: Chapter eighteen

Eve and Sam stay at the library, waiting for Carl Mishla to appear. She thinks about how R had instructed them to talk to Carl and ask him for the whereabouts of Lorelai Lapel, the creator of original notebooks. Sam talks about how he's starting to doubt R. Eve agrees it's weird, but it's not like he was forcing them to do it. Even so, she doesn't trust her own words.

Jackson sees Carl and they race towards him. Carl is surprised that they can see him, but he is willing to talk to them. He tells them he hasn't met any Lorelai, but he does know a Lapel, April. The four tell R what they found out. R instructs them to find April Lapel and ask her. Sam challenges R, saying that R can't control them. R tells them if they do what he says, he'll tell them more secrets about the journal. Both are curious and agree.

They find April by the store April's. She recognizes Eve and is friendly towards her. They ask her about Lorelai Lapel and April says she knows very little about her ancestor. She does know that she adopted a girl, Katherine Lapel. They tell this to R and he asks them if they want to go to Boston.

Olivia: Chapter nineteen

Olivia tours with April and her boyfriend Mickey Mishla. She notices that April and Mickey's relationship is more like super best friends than a romantic attraction. She thinks about Ross and while she's walking over to meet the others at the end of the hall, she sees a painting of a couple sitting on a train. The painting is called "Runaways". Olivia gets the idea to run away with Ross.

April and Mickey part away and once again, Olivia notices there parting isn't very romantic. She questions April on the train ride back home. April explains how she's never had a romantic attraction to anyone. She wasn't romantically attracted to Mickey, but still loves him. She explained this to Mickey and how she didn't feel comfortable having a romantic relationship when she didn't experience romantic attraction. To April's surprise, Olivia supports her and tells her to keep being herself.

A couple of days later, Olivia sneaks off to meet Ross at the beach. She tells Ross she plans to run away. Ross agrees, but they should wait until after the baby has been born. When she gets back, she sees April sitting in the living room and believes she's in trouble. Then she learns April had gotten a letter saying she won the contest.

Eve: Chapter twenty

Eve and the others sneak into Boston through the bus. They leave R at Eve's house. On the bus ride, they discuss why they're going to Boston. R told them it was to look for Katherine. They head into the city, bending around spirits and humans, finding it difficult to tell them apart. Eve feels guilty about lying to her father and almost feels like giving up. She is also afraid something bad might happen to her because she looks black. Sam finds the place they're supposed to go. They're surprised it's a hotel.