The Next Best Thing

Hazel

Hazel awoke to the feeling of a pinch on her arm. When she had opened her eyes she saw her sister standing over her.

"Wake up," Sadie shoved her.

She only groaned in response. The clock on her nightstand read 6:15 am. Last time Hazel had checked the clock, it was about 4:40 am. Just great. Since she knew she'd be way too tempted to fall back asleep if she was still in bed, she rolled herself onto the floor. Today was her first day of public school after her dad finally decided to transfer her from the hell that was Notre Dame Prep. Today was her first day of Junior year at Dulaney High School. She got up, grabbing her clothes off the bed and throwing them on; A white t-shirt dress, and a jean jacket. She walked to the bathroom, brushing her teeth, throwing her curly, messy hair in a red scrunchie, before putting on some mascara, lip gloss, spraying herself mildly with perfume, and putting on her deodorant. She looked herself in the mirror, sighed, and gave herself a nod of reassurance before heading downstairs.

"Morning," Sadie, and her dad rang out in unison, earning an exhausted groan from Hazel. If it wasn't evident already, Hazel was not a morning person by any means. Hazel continued, despite her sleep deprivation, and made herself a large cup of coffee. After chugging the coffee, she grabbed her keys, threw her dirty white high-top converse, and went out to get in Roscoe, her 1997 Maroon Jeep Wrangler. Too lazy to put the top up, she got in, put her keys in the ignition, turned up the mixtape that was already blasting from her stereo, and she was off. As she was driving, she passed by a gas station and made the decision to get more caffeine. She exited the gas station with 2 cans of Monster Zero in hand, got back in her car and continued her journey.

Alex

Alex leaned against the driver's side back door of Jack's car, chatting while they waited for Rian to arrive. He heard a familiar tune ring through his ears as a dark red jeep pulled up, stealing Rian's usual spot. He immediately recognized the song: Graduate by Third Eye Blind. The tune stopped as she opened the car door. After about a minute, he watched a short brunette wearing earbuds that were blasting so loud he could hear it from 10 feet away, exit the car. She opened a can of Monster, chugged it, and threw it back in the car before slinging a torn-up hunter green backpack over her shoulder and heading towards the school building.

Alex whispered to Jack, " Do you recognize her? 'Cause I don't."

"Nope."

"New girl?" They both mumbled in unison. Rian's beat-up minivan pulls up next to the jeep. He gets out and walks over to Jack and Alex.

"Dude, who the hell took my spot?" He questioned angrily.

"I didn't recognize her, I don't know," Alex answered

"Whatever, let's go," Rian slung his backpack on, walking off. Alex and Jack got up, following Rian.

"What classes do you guys have first?"

"Rian and I have French," Jack said.

"Dammit, I have Spanish. I swear, I've taken Spanish for 5 years and I haven't learned anything. Not to mention, Nelson fucking hates me."

"Sucks to suck, dude. We can't be late, or Ms. Laramie will bitch us out, so see you at lunch, I guess," Rian and Jack walked off. Alex walked in the opposite direction, towards his locker. After putting his things away and grabbing his books, he headed up to Spanish class. As he was turning the corner by the stairs, a small brunette came sprinting through the hallway, slamming into him. Her books fell to the floor, and she almost did too, until Alex caught her by the waist. He had just realized that the girl he had slammed into was the girl from the parking lot.