Chapter 15:

hi guys, sorry i suck. forgive me as i come bearing a peace offering :)

~~~

It rains for two days straight. It's nonsense, garbage, awful, every swear word under the moon and stars. But it's also pleasant, in an awful way. Michael is everywhere. Like, everywhere. Luke can't escape him, and maybe he isn't trying very hard, but he is trying.

'"I don't get what the issue is," Calum says, eyebrow raised as he stares at Luke. "You've been all over each other since we got here..."

Luke gapes at him. "It's not like that." But it is like that, it's exactly like that. He's in Michael's bed every night - albeit the night his sheets went through the wash and were mistakenly left out on the line overnight.

Michael hadn't been the most enthused to wade his way through Luke's suitcase explosion on the floor. But that was tough for him, it was Luke's room after all.

"I'm just saying," Calum sighs, "He clearly doesn't bite."

Cue the brow wiggle.

But Michael does bite. And Luke likes it.

Okay, maybe they're lovebites. but they're still bites, and it's been windy as hell so the windows and doors have been closed and Luke is living in a house with no central air and two shifty window units and he is hot.

"I look like... like someone put leeches on me." Luke groans, rubbing his eyes with the palms of his hands. "It's like everytime I take off my shirt, Michael is there, poised to attack."

And it's true. Michael has ears like Luke's mum, and that's exactly what Luke didn't need to think about. His mum, wouldn't she be so proud of him right now. Periodically being mentally tied to a bed and played with.

Gross.

Ashton comes in the backdoor, rain dripping off of the brim of his hat. He's holding two plates, one on top of the other. Luke can smell the burnt ends of the ribs.

"Grill daddy is back!" Calum wiggles his brows again and Ashton smiles.

Ashton puts the plates on a cork hot plate. "I can't believe you convinced me to grill in the rain. I almost died."

"You're fine," Calum says, peeking under the top plate. "Don't be so dramatic, it's barely raining."

But it's raining pretty hard, and Ashton hip checks Calum. "Great, you get sacrificed next time." He picks up a glass from the dryer rack. "Why the long face, Hemmings? Is Michael bullying you again instead of pulling your pants off?"

Luke's face heats quickly. "I- You-" He sputters. Ashton wiggles his brows and Luke swears he and Calum are conspiring against him. "It's not like that!"

If he says it a million times, maybe it'll be true. Two down, nine hundred ninety-nine thousand and ninety eight more to go.

"It is like that," Luke lets the words slip out, breathless. His eyes dart to Calum's face, then Ashton's. "I like him."

Oh god, he said it. He hadn't even thought that and suddenly he's pouring out this confession? Luke racks his brain. When did he start to like Michael? Probably seventh grade.

"It's not a big deal." Calum says. He pokes at a rib, picking at the dark crust. "These look good."

Ashton nods. "You're making it a big deal, Luke. Just relax. If you're having a good time, then that's what matters."

"What matters?" Michael stomps down the stairs. He's like an elephant in that sense, silent creeping around the house but absolutely the loudest person on the stairs. Perhaps louder than an elephant. Luke would bet on it.

"Luke's feelings," Ashton smacks Calum's. "Get a plate and eat"

Michael eyes Luke up. His hair is wet from the shower, not dripping but still weighed down. He smells clean too, like the lemon shampoo and mint. His eyes are bright as he stares at Luke. "What's your problem, blondie?"

Calum passes out plates and napkins while Luke stares at the countertop. He doesn't know what to say. This is good, what they have, the hooking up, or whatever it's labeled as. It's really good, and Luke doesn't want to mess that up.

"James," Luke says.

Michael cocks an eyebrow. He nods, grabbing two ribs. "You have feelings for him?"

He licks his fingers and Luke stares. Michael's tongue darts around his finger so smoothly and Luke wants it on him.

Calum coughs. "I get it, there's sexual tension, but either take it upstairs or eat like normal people, for christ sake."

It's not that easy though. Michael has this glint in his eye and Luke can't decipher it. Truthfully, he doesn't try. Michael is too complex and everytime Luke feels he's taken a step forward, there's another roadblock.

But he's so stupid. James. That's who he said? Perhaps the glint in Michael's eye is jealousy, or curiousity. Luke doesn't know, he probably never will.

"And, I'm over this conversation. Sorry Luke, maybe don't drool next time." Ashton laughs, taking three ribs. They're meaty and Luke's definitely drooling over the ribs and not Michael.

"What do you say?" Michael asks. "Wanna fuck?"

Ever so blunt. Calum gags, shuffling away from the counter with his plate, Ashton in tow, both grumbling about inconsiderate roommates.

"They instigate and run away," Luke finally says. His mouth is dry. They don't fuck. They mess around, hookup, repeat. This is new, and Luke is unsure.

The TV clicks on in the living room, loud cheers echoing through the house as Michael stares at Luke.

"Why are you unsure?"

Luke startles, "What?"

There is absolutely no way in hell he said that aloud.

"You said 'This is new, I'm unsure'," Michael picks at his nails, eyeing up the ribs on his plate. "Anal?"

And Luke is red all over again. Is this truly his life? Someone who went out of his way to humiliate Luke, torment him and play mind games, wants his ass presented to him?

"Yes," A small surge of confidence builds up, enough to straighten his backbone. "That's intimate, Michael."

Intimate doesn't even feel like the proper word, at least for Luke. It's more than just intimacy, it's a special connection and trust. Love even. And Luke doesn't love Michael. He barely trusts him.

"I wouldn't hurt you."

Suddenly, Luke is no longer hungry. This feels wrong, like Michael is conspiring with Luke's body against his brain's wishes. It's not about that kind of hurt. Well, it is, but more so the emotional hurt.

"I'm sensitive, Mike. You bullied me for it, and now you want me to give myself over to you."

Michael gapes at him. "Bully... I didn't-"

"It doesn't matter," Luke shakes his head. His tummy is fuzzy, like butterflies flitting about.

He sets a fire.

"My first time isn't going to be fucking, it's going to be making love."

And he watches it burn.

~~~~

well it's a short chapter, i'm trying guys!!!! it's been a hot minute, but i promise this story will be finished, hopefully sooner rather than later.

lmk your thoughts!!

xx
trishie