ʰᵒʷ ᶜᵒᵘˡᵈ ᴵ ᶠᵒʳᵍᵉᵗ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᶠᵃᶜᵉ?

Veronica's POV

I pull into the driveway of my school, with a tattooed boy in my head. I can't understand why he has yet to leave my mind. I struggle to find a parking spot, while the faint image of the pale boy with a cheeky grin clouds my mind. I begin to think harder.

A white boy. I've never even found one attractive before, but something about this one was different. He wasn't like everyone else, it showed, he knew that. 

I couldn't help but try to picture out the rest of his body; I wanted to see more of him. I wanted to feel him. Not in a sexual way, I just wonder what it'd feel like to hold him. I try to picture his voice, but my thoughts get snatched away by the evident loud noise of a honk behind me. I look in my rearview mirror and bite my lip, a bad habit I picked up years ago that only comes around when I get nervous. I pull forward and luckily find a parking spot. Although it was cramped in, it was a parking spot that wasn't a long-ass walk away from the school. I pull my keys out of the ignition, grab my bag, and head into the school. I make sure to lock my car just in case.

I finally reach the door to my school, wide open for anyone to enter. Wow, that's smart. I shake my head at the ignorance of it. As many school shootings that happen in the world and they still continue to have low security, lucky us. I walk in avoiding contact with people in any way. I dislike most people, I have trust issues. It's not like anything serious ever happened to me that made me that way, I've just been like this for as long as I could remember. It takes me a really long time to trust someone, no one ever gives me a reason to.

I slide my fingers into my back pocket and take out my schedule. I have art first period. I walk until I find my classroom and see almost the whole class filled up already and everyone turns their heads to stare at me. I roll my eyes and walk in, finding a seat as far away from people as possible. 

Small-time skip

It was about thirty minutes into class and my teacher was just rambling about how fun the school year was gonna be. I slouched in my seat on my phone hoping to luckily stumble upon the face of the boy I saw earlier. I wish I had known his name. All of a sudden I hear the crackle of the intercoms and a voice emerge over my teachers. 

"Everyone this is a code red, I repeat this is a code red. Lock your doors and stay away from windows and don't come out until we say. Please, be safe." 

I hear an alarm begin to sound and the sound of fireworks. No...not fireworks. 

Gunshots. 

I see my teacher run to her door and lock it and I begin to see other kids use things to barricade it. I'm still in my seat just staring blankly as everything is happening around me. I don't know what to do. I snap myself out of my daze and move toward the side of the room where everyone else was. I text my mom and I love you and silence my phone so I can avoid distractions. Everyone around me is either crying, on the phone with their parents or both. I hear more gunshot fill my ears and everyone in the room gasps in unison as if it were planned beforehand.

I can't even cry. I don't truly know how I feel in this situation. I somehow just can't get my mind off this boy and I hate it because he's partaking my entire mind when I should be focused on my life. I begin to hear the rattling of the door handle and everyone immediately goes silent. No one has their attention anywhere except for the barricaded door, that if it opens it could result in the ending of our lives. The handle stops moving, and everyone gives a small sigh of relief. 

Until we hear a loud bang and hear the chairs that are up against the door shift. 

He's ramming the door.

A few seconds go by and boom there it is again. 

A few seconds.

Boom. 

The wait of it felt like forever, but we all knew that was the case. 

More seconds go by, and more banging happens.

And more.

And more.

Until finally. He gets it open.

"Ronnie." I hear my mom's voice. 

"Mama?"

"Veronica, please wake up." 

My head shoots up from my desk and I see my teacher standing in front of me. 

That was all a dream?  

"Nice of you to join us, Veronica." 

I look around and see my mom nowhere, something isn't right, I know I heard her. The bell rings and everyone gets up from their seats and heads to their next class, and I do the same.

I still just wish I knew who that boy was...I just can't forget his face, how could I?