Chapter Ten

"You went back to the Hell Ruelle?" Lucie asked, surprised. "And you didn't even invite me?"

Lucie was sat with Cordelia in the library of the Institute. Cordelia had come over earlier in the morning seeming very distressed and out of character. Just as Lucie had been about to ask her what was wrong, her mother and father had bustled into the room and had begun fussing over Cordelia; saying how happy they were that was marrying James. They did this every time they saw Cordelia and Lucie knew that it made her future Parabatai sick with guilt every time. Lucie had eventually been able to pry Cordelia away from her parents and escape to the library to where Cordelia was informing Lucie about the previous night's events.

"Anna said that Hypatia Vex would not allow any other Shadowhunters in beside her, Matthew and I." Cordelia replied. "She is not too fond of our kind."

Lucie huffed. "I never get to come when you go to cool places with Anna and Matthew. Anyways, keep explaining."

"Well, when Matthew was walking me home we stumbled into James and Grace kissing om Blackfriars Bridge." Cordelia frowned as she spoke, looking away from Lucie.

"WHAT?!" Lucie exclaimed, outraged. "I thought Jamie said that he was not going to be seeing Grace anymore?"

"I thought so as well but I guess the heart wants it wants." Cordelia replied simply. "I was quite startled though. I did not believe that James would break his word to me."

"I will kill him, Daisy, do not worry. No one is allowed to treat you in such a way, fake engagement or not." Lucie glared at the floor.

Lucie was not sure what it was about Grace that pulled her brother to her. Although Grace was very beautiful, Lucie thought that she lacked in the personality department. She was cold and not easy to get to know as Lucie recalled the last time she had seen Grace. She still had not told Cordelia about her plans with Grace to bring back Jesse and although she did not particularly want to, she felt compelled to.

"Daisy, do you remember how Jesse Blackthorn gave his last breath to James?" Lucie started delicately.

Cordelia nodded. "I could never forget."

"Well, that was his one last chance to come back to life but now he cannot since he gave it to James."
Lucie then hesitated. "At yours and Jamie's engagement party, I told Grace Blackthorn that I would assist her in bringing Jesse back to life."

Cordelia's dark eyes widened. "You did?"

Lucie nodded. "I felt as if I had to, he did save James' life after all. A few days ago I went to visit her at the Bridestock household and she said that we needed to save someone's last breath in Jesse's locket that I still have. She said she wants it to be Tatiana Blackthorn's."

Cordelia gasped. "Oh, Lucie, that would mean that you would have to kill her."

Lucie closed her eyes. "I know. Grace did not say how or when we would do this but I know that it is the only way. If I do not help Jesse, Cordelia, I will feel guilty for the rest of my life and time is running out."

"But how will you get to the Adamant Citadel? That is where Tatiana is being held, is it not?" Cordelia questioned and then her eyes became serious. "And, Lucie, this is murder we are speaking of. Would you really kill Tatiana?"

"I do not know. I had no time to speak about it with Grace properly, we were interrupted by the Inquisitor and I have not seen her since." Lucie explained, feeling dizzy.

"Whatever it is that you decide upon doing," Cordelia started. "Let me help you. I am to be your Parabatai soon and whither thou goest, I will go." Cordelia recited a line form the Parabatai oath.

Lucie beamed. "Thank you, Daisy. I do hope that we will be able to have our ceremony soon, I do not wish to waste anymore time."

Cordelia looked like she was about to reply when the doors of the library opened and all four of the Merry Thieves came bounding in noisily. Christoper was first, his spectacles falling down as he scrawled away in his black notebook, barely knowing where he was going. Thomas was right behind him, hands on both of his shoulders directing Christopher where to go and Lucie smiled. She had always thought that the way Thomas cared for Christopher was sweet. Matthew came next, dressed brightly as usual. He was laughing at Christopher and his eyes then found Cordelia and he gave her a smile. James was last and he looked a bit nervous, or at least that was what Lucie thought. His golden eyes went straight to Cordelia for a moment and then he hastily looked away. The four boys all sat down with Cordelia and Lucie and Lucie did not miss the small smile that Matthew and Cordelia shared. She was not sure what it was about their shared smile, but it made Lucie feel a tad puzzled.

"What are you girlies up to then?" Matthew looked at Lucie.

"I was telling Cordelia a story before you four rudely interrupted us." Lucie teased.

Christopher then looked up from his notebook. "Oh, we're in the library? How did that happen?"

Matthew hit him on the back of the head. "Oh, Kit, you will forever be a five year old."

Christopher only swatted at him and grumbled something under his breath as he went back to writing in his notebook. James, Lucie noticed, was unusually quiet as he seemed preoccupied with staring at the books on the shelves. Lucie shared a knowing look with Matthew and then Matthew hit James on the arm. James started and stood up suddenly.

"Daisy, can I speak with you?" He asked, looking over at Cordelia.

"Of course." She replied politely.

She followed James out onto the balcony that her parents had built into the library and then they disappeared out of Lucie's view. She looked away from the doorway to the balcony to see that Matthew was still looking at it, an odd glint his dark green eyes. He seemed to snap out of it a moment later and he pulled out his silver flask and took a long sip.

"I heard you attended the Hell Ruelle last night, Matthew." Lucie started. "Once again without me."

Matthew chuckled. "I did not know that you wanted to come so badly, Luce."

"Of course I do!" She exclaimed. "Everyone's always having all of the fun without me. I was stuck at home last night listening to my father sing welsh songs which was amusing until he became all romantic and mushy with my mother."

"I enjoy your father's welsh songs." Christopher commented.

"As do I." Matthew replied, grinning. "Especially after your father has had far too much to drink."

Lucie only huffed and the three other boys chuckled. People often asked her why she did not court either Matthew or Thomas and she often found just the thought of it made her uncomfortable. Thomas was practically her cousin and Matthew might as well have been her brother. Lucie had never felt romantic feelings toward anyone - well anyone living that was. She missed Jesse, she realized. How she wished he would appear before her and speak to her. Lucie looked over to the doorway of the balcony and then for a second, she swore she saw someone standing there. The figure vanished within a blink of an eye but she knew exactly who it had been and hope swelled through her.

Was she still somehow able to see Jesse? Thoughts raced through her mind. This would change many things about her plans to bring him back but that was only if she was able to see him properly as she once had been able to. Lucie found herself praying to the Angel that she would be.