Chapter Twenty-Six

James knocked on the door of Kensington Gardens the day before his and Cordelia's wedding, feeling nervous to be seeing her. James had written her a note asking her to join him for tea and she had written back inviting him to her house this afternoon. James felt nervous to be seeing Cordelia so close to their wedding; they had not spoken about it since they had both found out the date and now James felt as if he did not know what to say. He had always known, of course, that he would soon marry Cordelia but it came faster than he had thought.

James felt nervousness course through him but he could not ponder it for long as the door to Kensington Gardens opened. Alastair stood in the doorway, an indifferent expression on his face. James did not particularly like Cordelia's older brother but they would become family soon and he had no choice but to be civil.

"Nice to see you again, Alastair." James nodded his head.

"You as well, James." He replied and held the door open wide so James could pass through. "Cordelia is in the parlour."

James gave him a nod and began to walk towards the parlour. James wondered how Cordelia entertained herself here in this grand house with a brother like Alastair. He and Lucie often laughed together and teased one another but he did not see Cordelia and Alastair being like that with one another. James entered the parlour and laid eyes on Cordelia who was sat in an armchair. He was taken aback by the worried expression that lay on her pretty face; she looked as if she was in an internal dilemma. The expression went away at once as she noticed James.

"Hello, James." Cordelia smiled. "Please, sit."

He gave her a smile as he took a seat across from her and watched as their servant, Risa, came and laid a teapot and cups in front of them. James could not help but notice that Cordelia still looked distressed; her face held a sense of worry that was usually not there.

"Are you alright, Daisy?" James frowned. "You look quite deep in thought."

"Oh yes, I am fine." She told him, a small smile on her face. "I am afraid I just did not sleep well last night."

James watched as she then seemed to be remembering something; he did not miss the way her cheeks turned pink. How strange, he thought to himself.

"Are you ready to be married?" James asked.

He regretted his choice of words as soon as they left his mouth. Are you ready to be married? Could he have sounded any more awkward? Cordelia, from across from him, looked amused at his question.

"I suppose I am as ready as I will ever be." She then frowned. "You know, James, you do not need to go through with this wedding. I still feel guilty - as if I have tricked you into marrying me."

"You did not trick me." James did not miss a beat. "I am going to marry you, Cordelia, it is the least I can do to save your reputation after what it was that you did for me. We will get through this one year and then you are free to be someone that you truly love."

Cordelia only looked at him, a bit longingly he thought, and then flitted her eyes away from him. James found that he did not like thinking about Cordelia marrying someone else, especially if it was someone he did not know. James thought the only person he would be okay with Cordelia marrying would be Matthew, as he was his Parabatai, although he knew that would never happen. Matthew never wished to marry and he also did not feel for Cordelia and vice versa.

"I only feel guilty, as though I am holding you back from Grace Blackthorn." Cordelia replied.

The note from Grace suddenly felt heavy in James' pocket and he, on instinct, looked away from Cordelia. He was going to meet Grace tonight to tell her that he could no longer see her; he was soon to be a married man and he could not continue sneaking around with her at night.

"It was my decision to propose to you, Daisy." James spoke finally. "It was the right thing to do and it was also what I wanted to do. Please do not feel guilty."

Cordelia only studied him for a moment and then gave him a small grin. "I will be becoming an oh so mighty Herondale for a year then, I suppose."

James laughed. "My father says that it is a great honour to be a Herondale."

"Then I guess I will be honoured as well." Cordelia giggled. "Are you nervous for the wedding?"

"I am." James admitted. "It is a bit nerve-wracking to have everyone watch us as we give each other the wedding rune and say 'I do'."

This was the first time James had thought of the fact that Cordelia and him would be giving each other the wedded union rune. Even when they would eventually divorce, the rune would still stay and would be there for the rest of his life.

"I agree." Cordelia replied as she gave him a reassuring smile. "But I will be there with you, James, there is no need to feel nervous.

As James smiled at her words, he could not help but feel a bit excited at the prospect of being married to Cordelia.

* * *

Late that night, James stood on Blackfriars Bridge, waiting for Grace to arrive. She had sent him another note before he had gone to Kensington Gardens, asking if she would meet him. James knew that this time had to be the last and dread washed through him at what he would have to do to Grace. He did not wish to break her heart but he did not see how he had any other choice. James turned as he heard someone approaching him and there was Grace standing before him, smiling.

"James." She smiled widely.

He nodded his head at her. "Grace."

She immediately frowned. "What is it, James? I can tell that there is something that is bothering you."

James did not meet her eyes as he spoke. "I cannot see you anymore, Grace. I am to be married tomorrow and I cannot be seen with you."

Grace flinched and a cold expression overtook her face. "So you will just forget about me now? As if you and I never had anything?"

"That is not what I am saying." James shook his head. "I could never forget you, Grace. I only cannot see you anymore because it is too much of a risk. If anyone saw us together, it would ruin Cordelia."

She narrowed her steely grey eyes. "So you are picking Miss Carstairs over me then?"

He felt a bit torn. "What am I supposed to do, Grace? She is to be my wife. I have to choose her over everyone, including you. It is the same for you; you must choose Charles over everyone else."

"I would never choose Charles over you." Grace did not miss a beat.

James felt bitterness swell within him. "But you did. You decided to marry him without even giving me any time to think about your offer."

"I had no time, James, I had to act quickly before my mother could stop me." She laid a hand on his arm and he felt his bitterness dissipate.

James took a deep breath and then removed Grace's hand from his arm. He looked up at her to see that she wore a hurt expression on her face and it broke his heart to see her like that. Although he knew that he had no other choice. If anyone caught them together, everyone would eventually figure out that his and Cordelia's marriage was a sham, and he refused to allow Cordelia's reputation be ruined.

"I must go, Grace." James told her. "I cannot see you anymore."

"Fine." She replied in a clipped tone but then it became tender. "Promise me you will still wear my bracelet. I wish for someone that I love to wear it."

James only nodded and then turned his back on her to leave.

"I will still try to push off my wedding to Charles as much as I can. I promise." Grace called after him.

James only continued walking although he could not help the pain in his heart that seemed to increase as he walked further away from Grace.