Chapter 18: Masked Once More (Part 2 of 2)

Dedicated to a random commenter charismatic_witch - Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm, even if you have some evil ideas...

Chapter 18: Masked Once More (Part 2 of 2)

Amelia stared at the prince, stunned speechless by his shrewdness.

She had planned to soften him up, test the waters, gauge his character and all that before she decided on her next steps. None of that was doable now. She'd just thrown herself into the deep end.

A corner of his lips pulled into a sneer at the shock written all over her face. "Did you really think to play me for a fool? With that on your wrists?" She peered down and saw the bruises peeking from under her sleeves. Ah hell, she'd not think to powder that. "And daring to rise without my permission?" Well damn it all to hell and back again, she thought he'd simply been too absorbed in his paperwork to recognise her presence earlier.

She averted her gaze from his piercing grey eyes. "Your Highness, I apologi—"

Prince Dane waved a hand through the air. "Save the pleasantries. You should be locked up. So why are you here?" He glanced her up and down without visible emotion. "Let me guess. To save your father? To ask me to convince my brother to give up the throne? Or..." He swept his eyes over the platter she brought. "To poison me?"

He was not what she'd expected. Calm and sharp enough to observe the smallest details in seconds. Now she wished she had some of Drake's slyness; that could really help. Amelia gathered her courage and met Dane's gaze again, willing her voice not to quiver. "How well do you know my father, Highness?"

"I know he served my father well. Obviously too stubborn, or he would've made the smart choice already and you wouldn't be here."

"Stubbornly loyal and righteous. That is why his support means so much, is it not? His endorsement represents legitimacy." Amelia turned her face to the side and swept a loose curl behind her ear to reveal the thin cut that Warren drew. "You see this? My father did not give in when a knife was held up to my face, or when that knife pierced my skin. I know my father well, Highness. He does not support Prince Warren, and he never will. He would rather see my face cut open than your brother on the throne."

Dane rubbed his chin with two fingers, apparently in thought but still impassive. "You will have to do more than that to convince me, Lady Amelia. I am more than happy to wait and see if the duke would see his own daughter disfigured and raped."

She observed his nonchalant shrug as he said those words and shuddered. How had the king that her father respected all his life sired two sons who were so messed up? She suppressed her agitation and tried to look on the bright side. The fact she wasn't hauled out in chains yet gave her a tiny bubble of hope that this one was a little less messed up. She straightened her back and looked him in the eye.

"Your brother is known for his cruelty. My father would never support the rule of a tyrant. With or without my life at stake."

"Like I said, I can wait. We can also lop your father's head off and deal with a revolt if we have to."

Amelia was quietly outraged by his cavalier disregard for human life. "And what will happen once your brother becomes king?" she pressed. "You have his blood. You are a threat to him. Do you not think he would remove you like—"

"Lady Amelia," Dane interrupted harshly as he sat forward in his chair and steepled the tips of his fingers. "Do not think to come between us with your baseless speculations. Now state exactly what you are here for in your next sentence or I will call for the guards. Perhaps my brother, too."