part 19

"What's wrong?" Fonsey repeated.

"It's chuckles" Anne sighed.

"Chuckles?" Mary queried.

"Decs pet hamster" Anne replied "Cam found her dead in her cage this morning"

Fonsey didn't want to admit it,but he actually felt rather relieved,he was expecting something much more serious.

"A hamster?" Eddie asked.

"Yes a hamster" Anne replied sternly "and before you say anything Eddie,I know it's 'just' a hamster,but our Declan loved that little thing,even if he would never admit it"

"It is a shame" Fonsey said "but she was a good age,unfortunately they don't live for very long"

"So what do we do?" Anne asked.

"What do you mean 'what do we do?' Surely you're not expecting us to go home because of a hamster dying?"

Anne couldn't help but laugh at that idea "of course not you eejit,I meant should we tell Dec or not?I mean should wait and tell him when we get back?we don't want to ruin his holiday do we?"

"Yeah good point" Fonsey agreed thoughtfully "although i think he might notice himself if we don't tell him until we get back and she's not there.Maybe it's best we just tell him at the end of the trip then,before we leave,no need to upset the lad just yet"

They all agreed they would keep this information to themselves for now.

"That means you too Dad" Fonsey looked at his Father accusingly,knowing first hand of his Dads habit of putting his foot in it and blabbing about things he really shouldn't.

"Ok,ok,I won't say anything" Eddie moaned "I promise"

"You'd better not" Anne mumbled under her breath.

"What has Cam done with her?" Fonsey enquired.

"She's buried her in the garden" Anne replied sadly "next to Rufus"

"Ah yes,I'd forgotten about Rufus" Eddie smiled "Pat talked about him every time we spoke on the phone when she was a little lass"

"Yeah Pats first pet" Anne stated "such a sweet little Guinea pig,she was devastated when he died,cried for days she did"

"Well,she was only seven or eight at the time wasn't she?" Fonsey enquired  "at least Declan is older,he'll be fine"

"I hope so" Anne replied "he is so sensitive about certain things though"

"Yeah" Fonsey nodded thoughtfully "unfortunately death is a part of life,we all have to learn that the hard way"

"Ok,that's enough of this morbid talk" Anne smiled "we'll deal with this at the end of the holiday"

The next day Ant and Dec were up bright and early.Dec had slept alot better as he was now getting used to Ants snoring and they were both excited at the day ahead.Some of Decs Aunts,uncles and cousins were coming over,including Liam and Kieran,who Dec had raved to Ant constantly about how brilliant they were.

Also visiting were Annes parents,who she couldn't wait to see and hoped this wouldn't be the only chance she got while they were in Ireland.

Soon enough the house was overflowing with family,chatting and hugging.Ant was introduced to everyone,but he knew it was very unlikely he'd remember all of their names.

"Come on,let's go outside" Liam insisted "I brought a frisbee"

"Great" Dec smiled as all the kids made their way out to his Grandparents spacious garden.