Hadith # 14

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) from the Prophet ( may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), who said:

Allah (Glorified ad exalted be He) has supernumerary angels who rove about seeking in gatherings which Allah's name is being invoked; they sit with them and fold their wings round each other, filling that which is between them and between the lowest heaven. When [ the people in the gathering] depart, [the angels] ascend and rise up to heaven. He said: Then Allah ( mighty and sublime be He) asks them --- [though] He is most knowing about them: From where have you come? And they say: We have come from some of your servants on Earth: they were glorifying You, exalting You, witnessing that there is no God but You, praising You, and asking [favors] of You. He says: And what do they ask of Me? They say: They ask of You Your Paradise. He says: And have they seen My Paradise? They say: No, O Lord. He says: And how it would be were they to have seen My Paradise! They say: And they ask protection of You. He says: From what do they ask protection of Me? They say: From Your Hell-Fire, O Lord. He says: And have they seen My Hell-Fire? They say: No. He says: And how it would be were they to have seen My Hell-Fire! They say: And they ask for Your forgiveness. He said: Then He said: I have forgiven them and I have bestowed upon them what they have asked for, and I have granted them sanctuary from that from which they asked protection. He said: They say: O Lord, among them is So-and-so, a much sinning servant, who was merely passing by and sat down with them. He says: And He says: and to him [too] I have given forgiveness: he who sits with such people will not suffer.