•°4°•

Chapter Four
School Lunches

Rowan had always been decent at school. She'd never had much to distract her since her only friend was older than herself. Of course, there'd be the occasional acquaintance or assignment partner, but other than that she sat with few in class and in eating sessions.

It was easy to get good grades when you had a stable home life, parents that weren't condemned to two gruesome fates and a little brother who wasn't dead.

Now though? Now she didn't know. It was going to be hard. She knew there would be different ways of life here in Forks, but school? From what she'd seen it was much different from the Australian school's Rowan had attended in the past twelve years. Yet here she stood, in the light dribble of rain, waiting to enter the American high school.

The girl didn't know what was to come when she entered that day. Perhaps teasing, either for her 'accent' (she doesn't think she has one) or maybe they'd heard about her past? No, right? How could they?

And then she pushed open the door to the bustling noise of teenagers. She hadn't really seen lockers in schools before, not too many had them back home and if they did they were usually small, but here they were tall and surrounded the walls. It was overwhelming, to say the least. Some eyes turned to her form, whispering or just blatantly chatting to the person beside them while others ignored the brunette.

She quickly spotted the office, dull eyes meeting any who dared stare too long as she picked up her backpack.

So this is fame. She snorted, passing posters and trophies that lined the walls along the way to a cluttered counter that cut the small room in half. The woman sitting behind the counter looked up at Rowan, a piece of her red hair being pushed behind her ear as she asked for her name. Rowan was then handed a schedule and a map, the women even giving her a slight guide to where she would need to go.

"Have a nice first day!" The woman called as Rowan turned around to leave.

The brunette didn't bother to turn back, instead just giving her a silent thumbs up.

°

Today her first class would be English. She had really struggled with her locker, not knowing at all how to open the damn thing. Luckily she had figured it out in time to place the spare books and stationery she wouldn't need.

Sure, she had a map, but who said she was any good with a map? Even with what she had been told a few minutes ago she had no clue. Being in the school was frankly a bit disorienting. She almost felt sick.

The classroom was fully packed when she arrived and all eyes were on her. She didn't meet them this time, only the aged male teacher sitting at the desk parallel to her.

Mr Polsky.

"You must be Rowan. Welcome, I suppose. I am obviously Mr Polsky and this is my English class. Go take a seat next to miss Hallen." He pointed towards a girl who was leaning her head in her hand, amber waves falling just past her shoulders thickly.

Rowan made her way to the third row just before the back and off to the wall. She pulled the straps of her bag off her shoulder and took a seat.

The girl beside her sent a curt nod.
"So, I'm socially awkward, but hi. I'm Grace." She extended her hand. Rowan glanced towards her slim fingers, wondering if she should accept the gesture.