After 7 years

Its been 7 years, since Shankar left his home. He always send money for household purposes every month and in return he receives a letter from Baishakhi. For the first year he just used to read them and no reply was given. Then slowly slowly he ceased opening the envelope also... but he never disposed those but kept them all datewise in a proper manner. Never forgot the sarcastic but rightful way she used to talk. Before sleeping it was Baishakhi the last person in his mind. But that ego, that male pride never agreed.

Through these seven years he got a friend by his side, may be more than a friend but no stated relationship was established. Her name was Patricia Joan.

According to Shankar,"I've never seen a perfect woman like her. Such dressing sense, such looks, such attitude... everything was so sooo perfect!"

Both of them were attracted to each other. Patricia was an independent woman but like any woman, she also wanted her prince to come to her.

But Shankar never proposed her. Though he knew this is the woman he has always desired to get... but then also something held him back.

What was it? His fear of getting rejected? His past? The fact that he is cheating on his wife? Baishakhi being the victim? Or... something else?

But nothing held Patricia back. She finally mustered up the courage and proposed Shankar.

"We know it very well that its not just friendship between us... we both feel something for each other. So, would you like to take a step ahead with me?" Said Patricia.

Shankar didn't reply. Rather than being happy there was a sadness, a guilt over his face.

"Why aren't you responding ?? Is it that you were just playing with my emotions?! Or... or is it that you lied to me bout not loving your wife?!"

Shankar's eyes widened... was it a lie that he told to Patricia and... himself... these thoughts were circling in his mind when Patricia again spoke...

"So, its true... for the first time in my life I took a bad decision... and you liar why did you always said You never loved her?!! Just why...?" She said in a calm but dense angry tone. A tone which showed her broken heart and utmost dissatisfaction.

Shankar finally moved his lips apart and said,"Pat... its true..." taking a big sigh "Y-Yes... I-I never... never... lo..."

"Stop! You don't have the right to say this... if you honestly answer that all these years you haven't thought bout her... never cared for her... never smiled while thinking bout her... just answer this... and everything will be clear..."

Shankar couldn't answer any of these questions... as he did all of these... and as Patricia said... everything became clearer...

"I guess this silence and that self realising face is the best answer. Now go back to India!! You've enough cheated me and your wife... and yourself too! So no more lies just go back!!!"

"But P-Pat... listen..."

"ENOUGH!! NO MORE LIES I SAID!!" Said that strong woman and ran off crying.

Shankar sat there still... as if everything was clearer than ever... and he immediately went to pack up and head home at once. That day there wasn't any ego or any pride to hold him back!! After these 7 years for the first time he again felt happy and excited.

Finally he was home, he was in India, he was in Kolkata. He was standing infront of Roy Choudhury Mansion. And he could finally see Baishakhi standing infront of him, with shocked blurry eyes and glowed up face with a small smile.

Shankar with ashamed but happy eyes looked at her and said,"I'm home..."

"Welcome back... dear husband..."

To be continued...

Author's Note- If I was Baishakhi I'd have hit him with a broom and said 'Ja bero ei ghor theke!' Meaning Get out of this house!

Well still he had realised his fault.. so one vote for this spoiled adult