The Unread Letters

Shankar was home. That nostalgic smell of the house, that agarbatti's smell, smell of fragnant flowers, smell of his childhood and at last the sweet smell of Baishakhi made him feel like home.

He wanted to hug Baishakhi. He wanted to shower all of his love over her but he couldn't. No, this time it wasn't his ego... but his shame that he believed his ego.

Shankar sat on the couch and Baishakhi with a faint smile said,"I knew it that you'll come... you'll read those letters and understand the situation."

Shankar got a bit confused and continued listening to Baishakhi.

"Trust me Bijoy is a really nice guy... just like Patricia..." said Baishakhi.

Shankar's world got upside down. He couldn't understand how she knew bout Patricia and who was Bijoy. He asked,"How do you know bout Patricia?"

"Bijoy is practicing law in London he told me bout it. We all have the right to be happy. You are happy with her and I'll be happy with Bijoy..."

The last words broke Shankar into pieces. Everything went blank but he couldn't deny it that it was his fault today she is no more in love with him. Shankar opened his mouth and said,"Yes, everyone needs to be happy. I'm glad you found your happiness. Well can I talk to Bijoy?"

Baishakhi shook her head with enthu and agreed for the meet. Meanwhile, Shankar was badly heartbroken. He realised his man ego took away everything from him. The girl he want to be with now, he had always lied to her. He cheated on Patricia too... he felt pathetic. He didn't want to handover her  beloved to another man but he was the one to bring miseries to her.

Finally Bijoy came. They shook hand and sat. Shankar asked,"So do you love her?"

"Who can't love such a wonderful woman?... She is the perfect definition of perfection!!"

Shankar to himself,"Yea, I was the fool to not realise."

Shankar then asked,"You want to marry her right?"

"Yes... I do. But for that you both need to sign your divorce." Said Bijoy with a heavy voice.

After a bit of silence, Shankar with a cold smile and tired unhappy eyes agreed to it. Bijoy already came with the papers and asked him to sign. Shankar couldn't find his pen and Baishakhi rushed to get his pen from his bag.

"Wait... wait Baishakhi... B-Bijoy has a pen...!!" Said Shankar in a nervous tone.

But it was too late, Baishakhi got his pen and along with that those unopened and unread letters. Tears started falling from her eyes but before she could say something Shankar had already signed the papers.

"W-why did you come back...?" Those wet blurry eyes looked clearly into Shankar's eyes and asked "W-why haven't you read it?!!"

Shankar just looked at her and gave a big smile and said,"I was just missing my sarcastic woman... nothing else... now I need to leave..."

Bijoy tried stoping him saying,"Wait wait! We can talk about this... just let's talk first!"

Shankar said nothing and just looked at Baishakhi and smiled when a small tear drop fell from his eyes too.

Shankar went back to London. While he was leaving he could hear Baishakhi screaming from back,"Please don't go!!"

"I know she was crying so much because she was feeling guilty... may be she once loved me and waited for me but now it's better to let her go and finally live her life happily" thought Shankar while crying silent tears on his couch...

To be continued...

Author's Note- You didn't care for her then so now she got better. Simple~😒