Chapter 15

The whole summer, the family spent either in Riverdale or in their home in New York, even though many days they were on the beach, a bit outside of the central of the city, just enjoying the rare good weather and sun. In September, Betty went back to her teaching position in schools, some days in the private Spanish school, others in a public elementary school, showing young kids some Spanish or French. Jughead worked from home, and the two were happy to get so much quality time together, even though most of that was spent by playing or looking after their daughter.

Now it was the second of October, Jughead's birthday, and the two were cuddling in bed, legs interlocked and arms tightly wrapped around one another. Bea was sitting in their bed and playing with her favorite barbies. By now, she was 20 months old, and starting to understand it wasn't normal for people to only have one arm. She was often disturbed and throwing tantrums because of the fact that she couldn't hold two toys at once, but there were also moments like these—where they could be in peace and silence.

The two were stealing kisses and speaking in a quiet tone, not asleep, but not awake either. They kept their eyes on their daughter most of the time but talked about random things that had nothing to do with the three of them. Bubbles—who had grown a lot—was sprawled over the bed as well, probably taking the most room, but happy to be there.

When finally Jughead's stomach growled though, Betty started giggling and he grinned sheepishly, burying his face into her neck, and starting to leave soft kisses there. "Hungry?" Betty asked, running her hands through his thick dark hair.

He hummed and pressed a kiss to her lips. "Made something for my birthday?" he teased, knowing very well he had been banished to their room last night because she was preparing some cupcakes for him.

"Nope, you don't like your birthday."

"Didn't like my birthday when my mom was around. I do like my birthday now that you're here and no one else but the four of us."

Both of them smiled at his words and she kissed his lips. "Want your cake in bed?"

"Well, that wouldn't hurt, but being the responsible parent here..." he sat up on the bed and continued, "I feel like maybe the kitchen would be a better idea."

The blonde rolled her eyes at him and got up as well, earning their daughter's attention. "Baby, do you want some breakfast?"

"I got it," Bea said with a smile and climbed off the bed quickly, running out of the room with her teddy, all the other toys still in their bed. The dog jumped off the bed as well and ran as fast as she could, not staying behind.

Betty and Jughead chuckled at the girl, knowing very well she had picked up that sentence from the two of them fighting. Betty always said that sentence when Jughead was trying to apologize and offered doing things for her, but she thought she could do all of them herself.

When Jughead was about to walk out of the room, the blonde grabbed his hand and earned a frown of confusion. "I think maybe you should put pants on," she suggested, looking at him only in his boxers.

Jughead smirked. "Really? I thought you liked this."

Betty narrowed her eyes at him as he moved closer to her for a moment, the front part of his boxers brushing against her waist. "Get dressed," she demanded, making him laugh loudly.

Betty had his shirt over her underwear—a state which he wouldn't call being fully-dressed either—but he didn't complain about that. So, he pulled on a pair of grey sweatpants (something that she loved), and let them hang low on his hips, revealing the waistband of his boxer briefs.

Betty had already gone to the kitchen, and when he got there, Bea was already sitting in her seat and Betty had given her some Fruity Pebbles to chew on while getting the cupcakes' last frosting ready.