Chapter 16

049's P.O.V

The mask was now helping me clean this filth of a house. But even though he was helping, it was going slow. An entire day of cleaning and we've only finished the living room. The mask was exhausted, and so was I exhausted.

The mask lazily plopped on the couch with a sigh, while I calmly sat on a chair. "It is going to take FOREVER to clean this house!" The mask said. "Mask, we can't die. We have forever." I remarked back. The mask mumbled a response under his breath, but I couldn't hear it.

I glanced out the window to see that it had now become nightfall. The stars were out, twinkling marvelously. "... Do you want to go star gazing?" I asked. The mask instantly shot his head up at me. "DO I?!?!" He said excitedly before getting up and dashing out the door. I couldn't help but giggle. Sometimes the mask could really be childish...

By the time I got outside, the mask was already sitting down on one of the chairs, staring up at the stars with a giant smile on his face. I sat next to him on another one of the chairs. It seemed like the stars actually glowed brighter then the last time I saw them. But the silence was quite awkward, I couldn't hear a single animal. Not even owl letting out a hoot.

"A beautiful night, isn't it?" I asked. "Yeah..." The mask responded, still looking at the stars. "But something is missing..."

"What is missing?"

"I do not know... It's just... I feel like something is missing..."

The mask seemed sad just based on his voice. His face changed to tragedy as he looked down to the ground. "Perhaps you too need a good rest." I stated. "Why would I, a mask, need rest?" He asked as he looked at me. "Because, sleep is valuable and was made specifically to fuel our bodies."

"I literally have no body. I'm a mask, not a human."

I sighed and turned back to the stars. "Fine, I'll just wait for you to pass out then leave you out here." I said with a chuckle. A few minutes passed, not a single word was spoken. The loudest thing I heard was a gentle gust of wind passing by us.

I looked over to see if the mask was okay, the mask's eyes were closed. "Mask?" I called out, but I got no response. He was asleep. I should probably put him to bed... Then I realized that we had not cleaned a single bedroom. I figured that I would just quickly clean out one bedroom, then I could sleep on the couch, so that way the mask could sleep on the bed.

I quietly got up from the chair and went into a bedroom, being careful to not wake up the mask. I started to clean up the bedroom, cleaning off the dust and rearranging everything. I quietly walked back to the mask. I picked up the mask and his host body, then put him in the bed, I tucked him in.

He looked peaceful, calm. He was sleeping quietly.

I went down to the living room, and laid down on the couch, trying to fall asleep. Eventually, the world went dark, as I fell asleep.