6: The Tides of Loyalty

On the third day, the throne room went without flowers, drapes, and masses. 

Perhaps the only thing that remained constant was the snow flurrying outdoors from dust grey clouds. Otherwise, the expanse before Maren maintained regality but swirled with curiosity. Only the nobles awaited near the dais, all of them scattered at the front but focused on the band of High Fae that sauntered to join them. 

Each courtier wore finery, all of them stunningly pretty as they pressed their attention onto Namjoon, Emberlynn, Maren, and the Crown Prince that led them. Through the crowd it was the gaze of the three Masters that pressed most. The trio were positioned aside their own miniature thrones, none as grandiose as the seat atop the dais, but holding their authority all the same. As Maren passed, she trained her eyes forward, accepting Jin's help up the steps and turning to face them all.

Rather than allowing Jin to be distanced, Namjoon, Emberlynn, and Maren remained only a step behind--Maren closest of all. From the audience, Angelonia narrowed her gaze, Alaster seeming to glance right over it as he winked at the High Champion from his place next to his sister. 

The Masters faced the others, Master Ashwind taking the lead. "Gifted bloodlines of Adara, today we gather to test character and patience, courage and candor amidst our own numbers and against the testimony of the Crown. The following session of Court will proceed with as much breadth as we allow, but during this time we are free to be one and the same. Ask your questions, voice your concerns, advocate for support if that is your preference. Regardless, we are in need of counsel and wise minds."

"Aye," chorused each courtier, all of them bowing or curtsying before the Masters sat in their respective thrones. When their gazes found the royal party again, there was not a number of stairs on the dais that could separate Maren from their intensity. 

Master Oriane said, "Do you have any opening statements, Highness? Do any of you in his company?"

Seokjin shook his head. Namjoon measured his friend, whatever thought he held in his head halting at the absence of word from the Dauphin. Emberlynn remained dangerously neutral, her silence the most pronounced. If Maren weren't such a child, she wondered if she would have said something--anything to break the ice. However, their combined dissent made Master Oriane nod curtly.

Master Galvan's voice bellowed into every corner. "Let those in unrest say their piece."

Lord Aven stepped forward, his expression at least open if a bit concerned. "His Highness has answered my questions thoroughly, even in regards to the Witch of Mirrors. His promise for our security is that we enhance our numbers in common soldiers and Ash Knights, but that he himself study the arts of Elegian magic so that he may discover a weakness."

"A Prince that dabbles in the Dark Arts," Lord Dhaaris scoffed. "It's as if we have not yet had enough trouble with that special kind of male already."

Master Ashwind shrugged. "I suppose if done responsibly, it can suffice."

Lord Pyradora crossed his arms. "How responsible can one be? The four servant elements are concrete and thorough, but the astral elements are tamed by no male or female."

"Not entirely accurate, Lord Pyradora," said Namjoon. The advisor straightened his shoulders. "In my research of not only Elegia but Narthia, I do find a number of talented fae that bended cosmic nature to their will."

Dhaaris grimaced. "The point is that we do not need an heir that dabbles in more than one trade when his kingdom relies on a single one."

"While that may be true, you do need a leader that is knowledgable. One that does not lounge on complacency, but in the crook of wisdom," Namjoon countered.