9: Throne of Ice

Beside the palace were spires of crystal towers. Blue and indigo-tiled roofs reflected the sky from the surrounding city and a port further down the shore, an exchange of ships pulling back and forth on course to places Maren could likely only dream.

The calm waters came to life, all the splashing making her look to the sea. Grey creatures swam under the surface, breaking the tide to jump and cry. She knew them as dolphins from the few books she'd read, but they guided the ship forward, Maren studying the other animals under as well. Just like on the bowsprit, people with fins swam alongside them, too focused on the course ahead to even offer a glimpse of their face.

But as she looked to the cliffs again, the galleon was close enough to slow and show her the figures that waited. Five in total, standing side by side with their hands clasped behind their back. She squinted for a better look, still unable to recognize them, but she did notice the man in the very center that pivoted on his heel, his blue cloak billowing behind him in the breeze. He strode from them, the others stepping to fill in his place.

"Maren! Come," ordered Namjoon. The advisor stood near where they'd spoken earlier with Emberlynn and Seokjin, the Prince too busy fixing the buttons of his coat to look at her too. Ignoring him, she did as she was told, surprised to find smaller boats waiting on the side of the ship. The sailors within them were clad in blue, the captain of the galleon stepping before all of them to unfurl a rope ladder.

Emberlynn grabbed Maren's hand, her voice stern. "It is a ladder, not a grave hound. This should be self-explanatory."

Despite thinking of the Prince, she laughed. "Yes, I think I can handle it."

Emberlynn let her go, all three of them watching her sit on the side of it before grabbing it and hoisting herself onto the rungs. On the bright side, it was sturdier than she thought. On the down side, she felt like her hands were wet. She took it one step at a time, smiling up at Namjoon as she got to the bottom.

"Never talk about my coordination again!"

Namjoon grimaced as Emberlynn went next. "Maren, this is a diplomatic affair, not a playground. I expect you to conquer a ladder."

"I swear on all things diplomatic that I'll throw you overboard."

Emberlynn, though smiling, linked their arms together and sat down at her side. "Mind your decorum. These impressions will count."

For the first time Maren became aware of both Aramond men on either side of the boat not daring to meet her eye. A bit shy, she kept her mouth shut as Namjoon and Seokjin joined them, sitting directly across. As they took off, neither Aramond used rows. Rather, they turned to their city and sat calmly, the water working on its own.

The ride did not seem as long as it felt. Even as she marveled at the sea up close, she fought the urge to meet the gaze that burrowed against her cheek. Yes, she was still upset that he raised her voice, and in truth, she knew it was foolish. It was not the first time they'd exchanged words in such a way. In fact, he roared all the time when the ash rained and his feathers blackened. But that was not the most bothersome piece.

She was frustrated that he returned to that place. That he wanted to hold her close and then step away to an arm's distance.

But what of her actions?

She wrung her hands in her lap, not wanting to visit it. But it was the one thing she learned; two sides to every story and even then more left untold. He'd asked her not to talk about it and she pushed. She didn't listen, and accused him of doing the same.

Nervously, she went to meet his gaze--and found him looking elsewhere. At the sea. Somewhere far away.

The sailor at the front of the boat glanced at his other man behind Emberlynn, both of them exchanging nods before gripping their seats.