Chapter 5 - Friends

Rantaro and Shuichi soon grew closer where they would almost talk like old friends. Rantaro was the only one that could really make Shuichi smile on a bad day. Shuichi would start going outside more and soon made a friend, Kaede Akamatsu. She would also help Shuichi when he got scared and would play the piano when he had a panic attack. They would tell each other everything, and even once Kaede gave Shuichi a makeover.

She also knew Rantaro, they were friends since middle school and they lived in the same neighborhood their entire lives. It was a Sunday, the day Rantaro got a day off, and they were downstairs in his living room. "Wait, doesn't my one friend go to you?" Kaede asked looking up from her phone. "What do you mean?" Rantaro asked. "Shuichi Saihara, do you know him?" "Yeah, he goes to me every day other than Saturday and Sunday." "Oh cool, he's a friend of mine," Kaede said looking back her phone. She was texting her girlfriend, Maki Harukawa, and they were planning on having a dinner tonight.

"You should get a boyfriend," Kaede said. "When did I ever say I was gay? And plus, I don't want to get anything in the way of my work," Rantaro said sternly. "Yeah, but what if you get a boyfriend that goes to your work?" She said trying to hint. "Are you hinting at Shuichi? Because that would just be weird, and he's probably not even gay." "I mean, he's a nice guy, and he is kinda cute, but it would be weird to ask out one of my patients," he said sheepishly. "So you do like him?" "Well, yeah I guess I do." 

"Ya know, I'll text him now," Kaede said. "Kaede, do not." "Hey Shuichi, do you like your therapist," Kaede said while typing and sending it to Shuichi. "You did not," "Yep, I just did." Rantaro was now very nervous, he didn't want it to be awkward when he went back to work the next day. They both waited for a response until her phone beeped. Kaede read it out loud, "In like what way? He is very nice and sweet though." She immediately texted back. "Oh my god Kaede, it's gonna be so awkward tomorrow," Rantaro whined. "Shut up he texted back," "He is really nice, and kinda handsome,"Kaede read. "I just found you a boyfriend!" She said hugging Rantaro. 

Rantaro was more annoyed then ever. "Kaede I swear to god, please say your joking," he said grabbing the phone out of her hands. She actually did it, she sent everything she said out loud. "That's literally one of my patients!" Rantaro whined. Even though he was a therapist, he didn't know how to calm himself down. "Don't send him anything else," Rantaro said in a serious tone, but she was already typing again. "I swear to got I'm going to kill you at some point, your acting like Kokichi!" "Well, now your on a double date with me, Maki, you and him!" 

Rantaro stayed at Kaede's house and she helped him get ready. He didn't argue anymore, he was already used to being pulled places. Kaede was in a light pastel pink sweater and a white skirt, meanwhile Rantaro was in a ripped-white jeans and a white t-shirt. "Jesus do you ever brush your hair?" Kaede was now on her tip toes trying to brush Rantaro's messy green hair. "I honestly think I should have gone to check on Shuichi before, but it's too late now," Kaede said. "Yeah, but I'm sure he can at least get up to get dressed fine right?"  Kaede sighed, "Sometimes, he's just very anxious," she said. "But you make him happy when he gets to see you."