Progress

Sans p.o.v

"there was once a beautiful girl, with a very pure soul."

"Like, Mommy!" I've never told her this story, but it was pretty easy to guess who it was about.

"yeah, like your mommy." Frisk was standing by the doorway, thinking she could be sneaky.

"anyway, one day she fell down a very long way. she was lucky there was something to break her fall." I was lucky there was something to break her fall.

"she met a lot of monsters while she was there."

"Were they nice?" I could feel Frisk's want to intervene.

"not at first, but she befriended all of them. even the most stubborn monsters." Myself included.

"How did she do it?" This is when Frisk made her presence known to Fran, our little girl.

"That's a great question. So, Sans... How did she do it?" She knew I was telling our story, better make this good.

"in order to explain how, i need to explain who." Fran giggled, since this would prolong her bed time.

"at first, there was a very mean monster who wanted to take the girl's soul. however, she was saved by a very gentle woman, who took her in despite not knowing if the girl was friend or foe."

"What happened with the woman? It's not like the girl could just stay, right?" Frisk's eyes crinkled with the smile that adorned her gorgeous face, just from seeing Fran's curiosity bubble.

"Let's wait and see. So, what happened next?"

"the girl had to leave..." My brow furrowed because I was stumped on why she left.

"Because she had read in a book that she could save everyone, if she went to the ruler of the land." That's why she gave up being with Toriel?

"You've already heard this story mommy?" Fran looked a little upset that she was the only one to not know it.

"I know a part of it, but your dad tells it better than I ever could." Nice save.

"continuing, she came upon a creepy and cold forest, covered in snow. there was something following her."

"What was it?" Fran's eyes looked like they were going to pop out of her skull.

"Fran... Be patient." Frisk chastised our brave little girl.

"it was a man. he was behind her, and he asked her to turn around and shake his hand." Frisk then made a raspberry noise into the side of Fran's cheek.

"A loud farting noise erupted from the handshake, and the girl burst into a fit of laughter." She then, pounced on Fran and made her squeal with laughter.

"It wasn't because it was funny, though. It was just the funniest thing she'd ever seen." She nudged me playfully.

"it was funny, it just takes a certain person to appreciate a good joke." She rolled her eyes and flashed me a huge smile.

"he offered to guide her on her journey, and while she refused, he followed her anyway."

"EW! He was a stalker!?" Frisk and I both winced at the term.

"No, sweetie. He had to keep a promise, and if she wasn't going to let him follow her willingly, he'd keep it through other means."

"That's still wrong." Wow, my five year old has more common sense than I did, when I was twenty.

"well, he didn't see it that way."

"And, after awhile, she didn't either..." Frisk glanced in my direction causing a blush to dust my face.

"they spent a lot of time together. he even helped her get past his brother and through the remainder of the monsters." Frisk left the room.

"she befriended everyone through her determination and kindness. She helped the lady get closure, she gave the brother a true friend, she helped a couple gain their spark, and she let a star realize what was missing. she helped everyone." Fran looked at me with wonder shining her eyes.

"What about her friend from the forest and the mean monster?"

"well, she helped the mean monster overcome his anger by helping him see an old friend. as for the friend from the forest, he fell in love with her, and he didn't want to see her go." Frisk re-entered the small bedroom, carrying a scrapbook from the underground.

"She didn't want to leave him either, so she made a promise to make sure they could go with her. Unfortunately, she almost died when she made it happen." She gave a sad smile.

"her friend stayed with her, begging her to not go." I could feel tears start to well up in my eyes.

"She told him it would take a lot more than physical pain to keep her from him, and at the same time they said, 'I love you.'"

"he couldn't let her die, so he took both of their souls and merged them as one. it was reckless, and while he wanted it to happen eventually..."

"He wanted to let it happen with her consent. The truth is, though, she didn't mind when he told her." We gave each others hands a light squeeze.

"after all was said and done, they started a family."

"And right now, they're both very happy." Fran looked like she was about to cry.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" Frisk looked at our baby bones with an understanding gaze.

"Was that story about you two?" Tears were now present in her eyes.

"Yeah, it was. Now, how about we show you what happened?" The tears magically vaporized and were replaced by stars.

Frisk then opened the book and talked about each picture like it was a lifeline. When Fran finally fell asleep, we were halfway through the book.

"I'm really glad I survived the fall. If my plan had worked, I wouldn't have the two of you, and I can't imagine that happening." Her tears splattered against the book's cover.

"i'm glad I succumbed to the fall. falling for you, that is." We shared a kiss that could trifle the one from our wedding.

"I love you." She put the book away and continued to cuddle next to me.

"i love you, too." I'm really glad her plan failed.

Throughout the progression of her journey, I fell for her, she helped me make progress from the past, and together, we'll progress as one. For nothing, shall we part.