CHAPTER 6

LUCIFER'S POV

"Is this what the devil does on his free time?" I hear a voice behind me as I pour myself a glass of whiskey.

"Brother." I smirk and turn around. Only one divine creature can sneak up on me and of course it's other angels. Gabriel sat with a smug smile on his face.

"Just popping in to visit you. Great job on the whole, running hell thing, but," Gabriel pauses, reaching out to spin a globe I have sitting on a desk, "I wasn't expecting to find a human girl living here."

"Gabriel if you hurt-

"Don't be so harsh! Of course not." Gabriel rolled his eyes. He smirked and punched my shoulder. "Didn't know you had it in you big brother. I thought you hated humans."

"I do. But she's different, she's pure." My chest warms at the thought of her.

"You're playing a dangerous game." Gabriel hummed. "Someone somewhere is going to notice your weakness."

"Don't be stupid." I shook my head, taking a swig of my drink. "I'll protect her."

"As long as you care for her, she's in danger." Gabriel said firmly now. I rolled my eyes. My brothers have such a way of being dramatic.

"Always so serious. Can't you visit me with fun news?" I sighed.

"Don't be so hardheaded and listen for once." Gabriel pat my shoulder.

"And why should I do that? I've already cast into hell before, there's nothing that can beat that." I pointed out. Gabriel chuckled and shook his head.

"Now who's fault was that?" He teased. I squeezed my glass.

"Don't go there or so help me-

A soft knock on the door caused me to cut my statement short. I placed my glass down on my desk and gave Gabriel a look. He winked and vanished, probably to return to home. Gabriel is my only brother I speak to. I know at least with his rebellious trickster personality he won't tell father or my other brothers about Rose.

I made my way to the door and opened it. I looked down to see big watery blue eyes. Rose's bottom lip trembled as she mustered the courage to speak. She looked so tiny and fragile, standing in the hallway shaking. My heart aches to see her so upset. I wanted more than anything to protect her from feeling pain ever again.

"I had a nightmare." Rose choked out. A few stray tears slipped from her eyes, rolling down her reddened cheeks. I quickly wiped them away with my thumb. Rose looked up at me with her beautiful big eyes again as I wiped them away as if she were looking for comfort in my eyes.

"No need to be afraid now. It was only a dream." I soothed her. I wrapped my arms around her small frame and pulled her into her chest. I could feel her relax into my body, her face in my neck and her arms around my neck. I ran my hand up and down her back until her breathing calmed. As I try to move to walk her into my room a small whine leaves Rose's lips.

"No." She whined into my neck. My breath hitched and I chuckled nervously. My stomach bubbles as she clung to me. I've never had anyone need me in this way. I bend down and sweep Rose of her feet. She gasps surprised as I carry her bridal style into my room and kick the door shut behind us, just as Cerberus sneaks in. I lay her on the bed and lean down to kiss her forehead gently.

My stomach fluttered more. What was this feeling? Why did she make me this way? If any other girl had been carried into bedroom I would be ravaging them, and kick them to the road, but Rose was so pure and innocent. I can't stop myself from being drawn to care her.

"Tell me about your nightmare." I say in a hushed voice between us as I brush a strand of her bleach blond hair behind her ear. Rose shook her head and pressed her hands into her eyes. I didn't want her to cry again, but I wanted her to feel better. "It'll help if you talk, or so I've been told." I scratched my neck unsure. Rose looked down at her hands and sniffled.

"M-Mike got in my room and h-he hurt me." She choked out. I exhaled heavily. I could feel every muscle in my body tensing. He scarred her. She was innocent and he hurt her. I clenched my fists, I could feel my breath getting heavy. Rose pouted and sat up, reaching out for me. I took a deep breath and I sat on the bed next to her.

"That will never happen." I say calmly, despite the fire burning in my chest. I combed my fingers through her hair and watched as she relaxed into my touch.

Why me? Why am I blessed with her?

"C-Can I sleep here tonight?" Rose looked down at her lap shyly and twiddled her thumbs. She's too sweet. I used my index finger to lift her chin and gave a reassuring smile.

"Of course you can." I laid down and gently pulled her into my chest. Her small breaths tickled my skin as I ran soothing circling on her back. As the minutes I began to feel her breaths become slower. "I would never let anyone or anything hurt you again." I say into her hair.

"You're the nicest person I've ever known." Rose yawned and looked up at me. My eyes widened and my heart began to thump rapidly. What was this? No one has ever had this effect on me and certainly no one has thought I was nice. I wanted to tell her she was wrong; about the monster I've become because of hell, but she didn't see me that way. She made me feel good.

"Thank you, Rose." I smiled down at her and stared into her big blue eyes. Rose smiled, her cheeks turning pink before she hides her face back into my chest. Her breaths slowed even more with each passing minute. It didn't take long for her eyes to shut.

"Nini, Daddy." She mumbled as sleep took over her.

Daddy? Me? My heart fluttered as I held her in my arms. The fact that I could feel emotions so heavily was a sign already, but her calling me Daddy sent chills through my body. I want her to be all mine. My sweet little angel.

But I know she is too innocent and pure to get mixed up with me. Being the devil means I have plenty of enemies. Allowing myself to care for her is being selfish. I could get her hurt. Gabriel is right and even Lilith in some way. I need to keep my promise to her and protect her from anything and anyone that tries to hurt her, even if that means I have to separate myself from her. If they see her as my weakness I will lose her for good.

My heart sunk as I held her tighter.

"This is for your own good." I whispered.