|CHAPTER SIX|

Remi jolts, staring with wide eyes when Dean stumbles in through her front door. The book in her hands being long forgotten, she rushes up to the older man, throwing herself into his arms. "It's so good to see you again," she breathes.

He hums in agreement, his body tense as he hugs her back. "It's good to see you too, sweetheart. I'm guessing we don't have long this time, seeing as they're gonna want me back any minute now."

Remi pulls back from the hug, her eyes searching his face as she holds herself close to him. "Dean," she murmurs with a frown. "You look like you're in pain."

He laughs, the sound strained. "Ironic that I thought coming here would give me some relief, but it doesn't."

The Williams looks at him worriedly, "it's only the first time, Dean."

He nods with a clenched jaw, "I know. That's what makes it so damn frustrating."

"Stay strong, okay?" She whispers, her smile weak. "I know you're going through hell—" she cuts herself off when the man smirks. "Poor choice of words."

"I'll be fine," he tells her. "It wasn't that bad."

"It's—" her voice comes out thick as her eyes sting with tears. "It's only the beginning."

He closes his eyes, his eyebrows drawn together. "I know," he grunts.

Her eyes study his form, the shift in the air causing her tears to flow over. "God," she buries her face in her hands. "I'm so sorry this is happening to you."

Dean pulls her into another hug, holding her for a few seconds before his grip disappears and Remi's left all alone again. Before she lets her emotions get the best of her, she briefly wonders if the faint kiss she felt against the crown of her head was her imagination.