|CHAPTER NINE|

Remi wakes sluggishly, her eyes straining to focus on the bursts of light in the night sky. When she sits up, the world tilts and the white noise stops. Her hands tremble as she fists the grass at her sides, her pulse thrumming as she inhales bursts of air.

"Sweetheart?"

Remi lifts her eyes, her struggle to breathe coming to a halt when she meets Dean's shocked stare. They move at the same time, Remi scrambling to stand and Dean reaching down to haul her off the ground.

"Dean," she breathes. He wraps his arms around her waist and pulls her in for a hug, his tense posture slumping when she returns the gesture. "It's been so long."

His grasp tightens, releasing a shaky breath when she presses her face against the side of his neck. "Where are we?" He rasps, releasing her from the hug and holding her at arms length.

Remi's face screws up as she looks around, her eyebrows drawn together in confusion. "Still heaven, I'm guessing. Just not mine,"

Dean sighs, "so whose then?"

The Williams girl shrugs, her eyes widening when she looks over Dean's shoulder and sees the car. "That's your—"

"—my baby, yeah."

Remi gives him a look of exasperation, "you call your car your baby?"

"Yes," Dean nods with narrowed eyes. "Now I'm gonna pretend you never said that and you're gonna get acquainted."

"With...your car?"

Dean sighs heavily, grabbing her hand and leading her to the Impala. When they get close enough, it's obvious that the radio's crackling to life— a grainy voice floating through.

"Dean!"

The Winchester drops Remi's hand, leaning in through the window of his car. "Cas?"

"Yeah, it's me."

Dean looks back at Remi and motions for her to get in the passenger seat, opening the driver side himself and sliding into the car. "You gotta stop poking around in my head," he grunts. "I need some me time."

"Listen to me very closely," Cas demands. "You're in heaven."

Dean nods, side eyeing Remi when she shakes her head with an amused smile. "I know, Cas. It just begs the question of why."

"Deep down, you already know."

Dean bites the inside of his cheek, his eyes searching nothing in particular for answers. "I'm dead," he says.

"Condolences,"

"Is it just me or does he not seem all that sorry?" Remi murmurs, glancing at Dean.

The Winchester cracks a smile, giving Remi a look.

"My apologies, this is just the tone of my voice, Remi."

Remi's eyes widen and she gives Dean an accusing look. He shrugs in response.

"Please, listen," Castiel grabs their attention. "This spell, this connection, it's difficult to maintain."

"Where's Sam?" Dean blurts out, disregarding Castiel's words.

"What do you see?"

"What do you mean, what do I see?"

"Some people see a tunnel or a river," Cas informs him. "What do you see?"

"Nothing," The Winchester replies, his tone laced with irritation. "My dash, I'm in my car. I'm on a road."