Chapter 2 (Part 6)

One Step At A Time

"Ouch. My back," complained Jongin as he stretched long and hard, cracking a few joints while he was at it. The four-hour train ride was exhausting especially after his lack of sleep thanks to spending a few hours at the hospital, watching over Chanyeol with Joonmyun.

"I need food," whined Sooyoung with her eyes and thumbs on her phone.

"We haven't even left the station, Noona, and you're already missing Haejoon hyung that much?" teased Jongin.

"Shut up," mumbled Sooyoung as she finished typing her message.

When he heard about the sudden trip, Haejoon decided to change his plan and accompany Sooyoung and Jongin to Suncheon that morning instead of taking a later train. He could easily take another train to Jeonju from there since the distance between the two cities was not that far.

"So Hyung really didn't contact Taeyeon noona the entire weekend? Not even once?" asked Jongin as he started walking towards the exit.

Sooyoung shrugged. "How should I know?"

"You were the only person he spent time with this weekend so you should know."

"Stop being nosy, Jongin. You sound like an ahjumma."

The young man laughed. "You're blushing, Noona. Are you two getting serious or something?"

"We're just good friends."

"I'm not ten. That line won't work on me. You two are dating, aren't you?"

Sooyoung refused to answer, quickening her steps towards the parking lot instead to find their contact.

Yoona had contacted the Suncheon police, informing them of her team members' arrival. And so, they had assigned an officer to pick the two up and take them to where they needed to go that day.

It was easy for them to spot the neat young man waiting for them near the door.

"Good morning. Assistant Inspector Oh Sehun?" asked Sooyoung as she approached him.

The young man bowed. "Good morning. Inspector Choi Sooyoung, I presume?"

"Yes." Sooyoung extended her hand. "Nice to meet you. This is Assistant Inspector Kim Jongin," she introduced her partner.

Both assistant inspectors bowed and shook each other's hands before the group quickly moved to the car, led by Sehun.

"Do you want to have something to eat first or would you prefer to go directly to the hospital, Inspector?" asked Sehun as soon as they got inside the car.

"Hm... is it possible to make a quick stop at a bakery or something? On the way to the hospital, I mean. We don't have time to actually sit down and eat at a proper restaurant," said Sooyoung with a hint of disappointment in her voice.

"Of course. We could also stop at a fast food restaurant and get food to go, if you want. It's right on the way so we won't be wasting any time."

"Which do you prefer?" Sooyoung asked Jongin who was sitting at the back seat.

"Fast food," decided Jongin after taking a second to think. He figured that filling Sooyoung's stomach with something more than just bread or sandwich would keep the inspector in a better mood for the rest of the day.