Chapter 3 (Part 12)

Secrets And Dreams

It was shortly before lunchtime when Taeyeon and Haejoon walked inside the interrogation room.

Taeyeon dropped a thick folder onto the table and sat down while Haejoon chose to stand behind her, leaning against the wall with arms crossed and jaws clenched.

"I'm Inspector Kim Taeyeon and I believe you've met Inspector Kim Haejoon?" Taeyeon said while keeping her eyes on the young man in front of her. "Let's cut to the chase, shall we? I don't want to waste my time on you."

The young man watched as Taeyeon opened the folder and began taking pictures out of it, arranging them neatly on the table.

"The delivery truck you were assigned to," Taeyeon pointed at the picture of the vehicle. "See these glowing stains? That's human blood."

"There are at least a dozen trucks owned by that company accessible by at least twenty people," argued the man.

"But only one assigned to you on the night of the murder."

"Still doesn't mean that I used it. It was after hours and my shift was over. You can't prove that I was anywhere near that truck."

Taeyeon pointed at another photograph. "On the contrary. Your employer hid an extra CCTV camera, disguising it as a smoke detector. There had been people misusing the trucks before, you see, so he took precautions. You managed to avoid the visible CCTVs, maybe you had days to figure out blind spots or angles to make sure your face wouldn't appear on the camera, but you didn't know about this one. He rarely checks it unless he senses that something's wrong so you got lucky, got away undetected for a few days." She tapped the picture. "That's you, Mister Park, holding someone at gunpoint, forcing him to get into the back of your truck. You intercepted him and took him to your workplace because it was the nearest empty location you could think of."

The man didn't react.

"We even have footage of you driving away only to come back a short while later to clean the truck."

"So I like to keep my truck clean. So what? You can't prove that I actually shot that guy. I could just be threatening him," said the man.

"No one heard a gunshot, that's true, but how do you explain the human blood in your truck if you hadn't shot the man there? Keep in mind that we have that shirt of yours, soaked with Jo Himchan's blood. You knew him by another name, perhaps. One he used while he was undercover or the new name that he was using when you killed him."

"Someone might have planted that shirt there to set me up."

"Did that someone plant the money too? All ten million of it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," the young man denied, looking at Taeyeon defiantly.

"We found your prints on the torn money binders and this bank slip confirms that you deposited the money to your sister's account," Taeyeon said, waving the piece of paper. "That's your signature and your name right there."

"Maybe I found the money and gave it to my sister. Is that so wrong?"

Taeyeon leaned forward, not losing her calm even for a little bit. "You think you're so smart, huh? Or maybe you thought that you'd probably serve another five years in prison and that's it? We're just doing you a favor here, giving you a chance to confess and maybe turn your accomplice in. I don't even have to be here, actually. This case is airtight. We have you. All evidence points to you." She pushed another photograph forward. "See this? That's the hand truck you used to move the body from the truck. The tire track matches the one we found at the alley and guess whose fingerprint we found on one of the wheels? Sloppy, Mister Park."