6. An expression of joy.

Knowing Nathan was related to him changed everything.
At one time Tarek had hoped to see a look of adoration in those beautiful blue eyes. Now he knew this was an impossible dream. During their flight, he gave instructions to transfer his belongings back and sent a message to his grandfather in which he gave in to his wishes.

"What happened?" asked Marwon closely observing Nathan, whom he had summoned to his office immediately after landing.
"Nothing special, as far as I can tell," he replied to the man looking surprised. "My mother and Tarek got along just fine. I have no idea why his mood turned so suddenly."
Marwon was an extremely bright man. He made the connection immediately.
"I think our secret has been discovered.
Nathan shook his head confusedly.
"But that doesn't make any sense at all. With this knowledge, Tarek could have demanded that you comply with his request. Why does he choose to give up his plans?"

Marwon laughed warmly.
"Tarek loves me and Akil is his favorite uncle. It wouldn't occur to him to use this information to get his way. He's not like that."
Nathan wobbled on his chair with a restless feeling in his body. What next? He didn't want things to change between Tarek and him. Within the family, there was no one else he could call a friend. It was too valuable to lose.
"Don't worry, Nathan. I'll talk to him," his grandfather promised.

Sitting from behind his desk, Marwon took in his other grandson. Tarek dodged his gaze, but the demonstratively crossed arms told him enough. The young man was hurt.
"So you've found out who Nathan really is," Marwon said not wasting time on ignoring the obvious.
Tarek stared at him incredulously. He found it difficult to express the deluge of questions that struck him.
His grandfather got up, walked around his desk and pulled Tarek up in his arms.
"I love you, Tarek, and there's a reason I put you with Nathan. You are the only one who can challenge him without fear of losing his status."

Tarek crept closer in his grandfather embrace.
"Nathan said he'd resign if I beat him."
A deep voice resonated through his body.
"I would never agree to that. Just like I'm not going to comply with your request. Nathan is family and he needs a friend."
Marwon kept him at arm's length and looked right at him.
"He needs you."

His grandfather's words reverberated in his head as he entered Nathan's office. The man got up immediately.
"This doesn't have to change anything between us."
Tarek cringed internally.
"Maybe it's a positive thing," Nathan continued. "The old man would like us to have a good relationship. Be friends."
Every word cut further in his pain.
"Does anyone ask me what I want?" he remarked angrily.
Nathan took a seat on his desk and dug into his memory.
"You want control over your own life, don't you?"
Tarek nodded cautiously, carefully hiding the joy of Nathan having remembered what was so important to him.
"He won't give you anything, Tarek. If there's anything you want, you're going to have to take it."
Defeated, Tarek let his shoulders hang.
"It was meant to spur you on," Nathan laughed.
"I'm sure it was," Tarek nodded to the ground.
Asking for help wasn't really his strong point.

"If there's anything I can do to help you, know that I'm completely at your disposal," Nathan said putting out his chest.
Tarek ignored the remark and demonstratively crossed his arms..
"I just don't like how grandfather manipulates this situation. He completely contradicts himself by encouraging me to beat you."
A grin appeared on Nathan's face that made him look so much like Akil that Tarek wondered why no one knew about this secret.
"That is the advantage of ruling with an iron hand. His will is law."
Accepting the fact that his grandfather was indeed in control, he agreed to work and train with Nathan for three more weeks. However, he put his heels in the sand at the sleeping arrangement. Marwon heard his plea and rejected his objection. Repeated insistence made no difference. What else is new?