Chapter 18

March house

March house. 1862.
   Beth has gotten worse. We all have. We are all in despair. Even Teddy can't make me feel better. Not that he's tried. He's always so focused on Jo lately.
James and John do a good job on keeping me distracted from it though. They bring flowers to Beth all the time. Her room is practically a garden.
Jo and I are sitting on Beth's bed. I feel her forehead. It's too hot. She's running a high fever.
I turn to Jo and shake my head.
"What do we do?" Jo says looking back at Hannah.
"We should send for your mother." Hannah suggest with a saddened face.
I sigh and stand up. Jo scoots closer to Beth. I stand near the door and cover my face.
I have to be strong but I wish to cry so bad. Jo looks over at me and I uncover my face. I quickly put on a smile and leave the room.
————————
Marmee enters Beth's bedroom with Laurie and goes straight to Beth. I move from Beth's side so Marmee can take it.
She's gone from a sick husband to a sick daughter, but she brings cheerful efficiency to a terrifying situation. I admire that.
Teddy walks over to me and wraps his arm around my shoulders. I reach up and  hold his hand. I keep my gaze on Beth and Marmee.
"You were right to send for me, my girls - but you've been very good nurses indeed." Compliments Marmee.
"It's mostly been them." Meg motions to us,"Mary forces Jo to sleep."
Jo shrugs,"I didn't know what else to do."
"Hannah, go make a clear broth and Jo get ice - we need to cool her." Marmee starts ordering us around.
"Who is with Father?" Meg questions.
"John is staying with him." Marmee responds.
Meg smiles to herself, which mother and I notice.
Marmee looks at the bed,"We need to change the linens."
I quickly get out of Teddy's grip and start stripping the sheets. Marmee attends to Beth while we all help her.
————————-
Someone is hitting my side,"Mari! Wake up! I can't find Beth."
My eyes shoot open,"What do you mean you can't find her? Did you look for her?"
We both start to panic and look around upstairs. How in the world do you lose a girl who's sick and hasn't been able to move?
"Marmee! Marmee!" Jo yells.
We rush downstairs to find Beth sitting up with her Mother and Hannah eating. Oh she moved. That's a good thing.
Jo cries with joy, and kisses Beth's head,"Merry Christmas, Beth."
I smile with relief and go over to Marmee.
———————
It is Christmas time again. Amy, standing on a chair, supervises all the decorations. Mr. Laurence and Marmee sit by the fire, and Beth on the couch with her doll.
Jo runs around with Hannah setting the table for their feast. I am trying to find Laurie.
At just that moment, Laurie pops his head in and with wild excitement in his eyes, announces,"And here's another Christmas gift for the March family!"
The door swings open, and it's Father, supported by Mr. Brooke.
Mayhem breaks out - Beth starts crying, Amy falls off a chair, Marmee gasps, I trip over myself, Jo drops a dish, and Meg (again) spontaneously kisses Mr. Brooke.
All of us run to him, surrounding him in a hug and he welcomes it with open arms,"My little women. How you've grown, and how proud I am of you. Each of you. Merry Christmas, my dears."
I smile brightly. He looks over us to Marmee - who is gazing back at him with love. He steps out of our hug to embrace his wife.
Marmee cries out joyfully,"Thank god, thank god you're home. Now I can be angry with you in person."
Father laughs, and brushes her tears away. It is romance, but the real kind. We all slowly walk away to give them some alone time.
I go over to Teddy and give him a hug, "Merry Christmas, Teddy."
He wraps his arms around me, "Merry Christmas, Mary."
————————-
It is Christmas dinner, with everyone, including the Laurences and Mr. Brooke, gathering around the table.
It is the finest day any one of them has ever had, and the joy radiates across the chilly Christmas night.
I'm siting next to Dore, who keeps pinching my side. I kick his foot. Father, who sits at the end of the table, smiles at us. Marmee whispers to him.
Meg and John Brooke are sitting across from us. They're all smiling and annoying. It could be considered cute or disgusting.
There's a knock on the door of our house. We all look at each other, confused. No one is expecting anyone.
Meg goes to the door and answers it. I can't see from where I'm sitting. I hear Meg open the door and gasp. I sip my water and get ready for whoever's drama is going to play out.
"Hello. James, isn't it?" Meg questions.
I choke on my water and start to cough. Okay, so I didn't think it was my drama that was going to play out. Everyone's attention falls on me.
I clear my throat and smile,"If you'll excuse me."
I quickly get up and try to leave the room before Meg brings James in but too late. James smiles awkwardly and looks around for me. I was almost out the door!
"Mary, I hope it is all right, I got
your address from Aunt March-" James addresses me before getting interrupted.
"Who are you?" Teddy then turns to Jo,"Who is he?"
James starts backing away,"I'm so sorry to intrude, I was hoping to talk to Mr. March but I'll go-"
"- Please stay! We have more than
enough room." Marmee blurts out.
"Can someone tell me who he is!?" Dore questions.
James ignores Dore, "I don't want to be a burden."
"It's no burden at all." Meg assures.
I'm still stunned,"Yes, of course. Please."
Laurie introduces himself,"I'm Laurie. And who are you? "
"I am James Vanderbilt." He replies.
I see Marmee and Father look at each other. Laurie's eyes widen and Meg raises her eyebrows. It seems like they know who he is or at least who his grandfather is.
I calm myself down and explain,"We met at Annie Moffat's ball. He's staying at Aunt March's house."
"Oh Mary. Why didn't you tell us he was this handsome up close?" Hannah turns to me.
That makes everyones eyes turn and look at me. I blush and look away with a nervous laugh. I meet Teddy's gaze. My back straightens suddenly becoming uncomfortable. I look down.
—————————
Why did I get sorta uncomfortable while writing this chapter? Like I have butterflies.