Private Prison

He smirked as the officers of the court walked into the room. He did not rise. He did not respect them.

"You are the terrorist known as 'The Scorpion'," the judge said. "Do you understand why you are here?"

"I don't care, particularly," the Scorpion said. "I've committed no crime in this country. So turn me over to the Americans and get it over with."

The American Justice System, he thought, what a joke. He'd live better than he ever had before: free internet, television, meals prepared according to his religion, freedom to worship. No more worrying about a drone wiping him off the face of the Earth without warning.

"Our treaty with the United States does not cover those who are not from our country," the judge said. "So you will not be given to the American authorities."

"I'm free then," the Scorpion laughed. "No penalty for my so-called crimes?"

"Not from this country," the judge answered, as an odd, almost satisfied, smile crept across his face.

The scene struck the Scorpion as odd, but he went with the officers to be processed and released.

"Wait, this isn't the way back to the office!" he shouted as the officers led him down the stairs toward the underground parking garage.

"The paperwork is being processed upstairs," one of the guards said. "You're being taken to your escort, to be flown out of the country."

A plain gray sedan awaited, not unlike hundreds of other cars on the highway. They shoved him roughly inside, with another man sitting in the backseat.

"What is this!?" Scorpion protested.

"Calm yourself," the man in the backseat of the car said. "You have been remanded to my custody."

"Wait, you're that guy. The rich American..."

"Jacob Pike," the man answered. He tapped the seat and the driver left the parking garage.

"Where are you taking me?" 

"My own private facility, where you will serve out your sentence for the murders you have committed," Pike replied.

"Sentence? A lifetime of torture?"

"Hardly," Pike said. "I don't have the stomach for that. No, Mr. Scorpion, I have a special facility for people such as yourself. One that serves out an appropriate penalty."

"You can't..." For the first time in his life, Scorpion felt some alarm at the idea of being punished.

"It's all been arranged, you see," Pike was almost genial as he explained. "You've been released on a technicality and disappeared. The judge has agreed to the corruption charges he will face, and will given asylum in an unspecified location under my care.

"No one will ever know what happened to you. You'll be forgotten."

"They will still look for me," Scorpion was indignant. Being marginalized was a terrorist's biggest fear.

"They know what really happened to you," Pike answered. "No one will look."

"But if I escape..."

"There are no walls at my facility, Mr. Scorpion, and yet you will find escape impossible. You may leave at the end of your six-month sentence."

Six months didn't sound so bad, especially at the hands of an American.

"Where?"

"You will be given two weeks of supplies, Mr. Scorpion," Pike said smiling in an almost evil manner. "Should you survive six months marooned on the coast of Antarctica in the dead of winter, you will be retrieved and freed.

"Good luck."