Arc 11

Arc 11

Ch. 1 Blood Mage

Over the next two weeks, several businesses started opening up. The Mercenary guild known as the Archangels showed up in town and set down roots. They each had a mantel-like blue cape with white wings on back. The symbol of the guild were those wings. They were really popular since they not only had a large amount of handsome men, but their gentlemanly nature and routine acts of service made them stand out. They also weren't pushovers, when it came to battle they proved they weren't just pretty boys. Mixed in with the pretty boys were large beasts of men... and beastmen, almost size of William.

As their ranks increased to a fair amount by those native to the city, the rumors of the recommended chivalry training leaked. It was like angels really had descended on the city. Only a couple dozen, but they were getting popular.

Another interesting business opened. The Cherub's Garden. It hired exclusively widows and war orphans. There was a place where the women worked, and a new thing called a 'day care.' Since they exclusively hired destitute women from poorer places, and the Archangels received their first official contract in order to protect them.

Soon the famous Archangels were wearing scarves made for them by the women of Cherub's Garden. Each emblazoned with the trademark "CG" in the shape of a flaming sword.

I won't lie, I was surprised by how fast Tir worked. I was a little scared too. Even though their numbers were few they had high aspirations for expansion. It was working a little too well... but this was all according to my plan. This was only one small drop in the reconstruction effort, but it was aimed at boosting morale.

And it was a rousing success. Not only was I sinking my own claws into this city in my own way, but I was building favors with a soon to be much more powerful ally. But if I had to choose between the king who was willing to give me anything to keep me around but hated my guts, or the demon queen who might kill me as soon as give me what I want, and who liked me a little too much. I'd still run right back into the arms of my cat girl and wolf girl sweethearts at my first opportunity.

I still feel like my days of being an adventurer are only getting further and further away. At least the queens were pregnant. I only had to survive this hell for another eight months. But I don't want to be sitting on my hands this entire time. I've developed my gravity magic so that I can stand on the ceiling without any issues, and I can almost dance without stepping on my instructor's daughter's toes.

Since my flashy magic is a no go, maybe it's time to seriously start looking into both alchemy and inscription magic. I'm in for a lot of work since the library is pretty limited with its resources. I might have to develop my own magic again. I am also going to have to plan the next stage of my journey, in nine months I'm leaving this place. I'll also make this place as habitable as possible for the next prince.

Maybe I won't be sitting on my hands, but I also won't be seeing much of the world either. If I have to be here longer than nine months I might go stir crazy. I should look into going on a 'hunting' trip into the forest and go for a real run with Cheshire.

After another two weeks two things happen that make my blood run cold.

The first, is I discover the dark hidden truth behind inscription magic. Before there were spirit blessings, before there were traditional inscriptions in ink or in stone, before there were chants, mortals had a small amount of magic inside of them they could use. Life magic.

I say life magic, and there is a doctrine within the magician's community that calls life magic: a variety of magic that makes plants grow, heals wounds, and other beneficial things. Commonly accepted as good or morally positive magic.