Chapter Eight

Fortunately, when she'd handed the tissues to Tarleton, he appeared to have collected himself.

"Yes, it was a shock for me too, especially how it all played out. As I mentioned, I found our new neighbor a job with the bank. With his previous banking experience in Boston, it was only too easy to do so. But then, higher up the chain in the bank, they decided to make some changes. Neil is ... was ... quite a salesman. He could sell all sorts of bank products. I'd always felt that my role at the bank was more to be a friendly face—the community face of the bank," said Tarleton in a gruff voice. He struggled again to maintain control and stop the imminent flow of tears.

Miles asked, "Do you have any leads in terms of a new job? Or, considering the circumstances, can't you get your old job back? Now the bank needs a manager again."

Tarleton shook his head. "I was so upset when I was fired that I burned a few bridges. I had no idea there would be a vacancy in the position so soon. I've also heard from my old coworkers that the bank is planning to hire from without. Finding another banking job would be tough. There simply aren't a lot of high-level jobs available. Plus, there's the fact that I've lived in Bradley all my life. I'm not wanting to move away and start a new life at a different bank at sixty years of age. That's why I'm here today, Miss Myrtle. I've decided that I'm going to scale back my lifestyle and try to do a variety of different things to make my living here."

Myrtle frowned. She'd always thought that Tarleton had a relatively modest lifestyle. Scaling back was going to be tough. "What types of things are you looking to do?"

"Well, I was talking to Red and he mentioned that maybe you had some things around the house that I might be able to help you with. Small repairs and whatnot. Errands. Maybe even some mowing or yardwork," said Tarleton.

Myrtle said, "Well, not that I wouldn't want to outsource my yard to someone else, but I already have a yardman. I will admit that Red isn't great about coming over and fixing all the little things that need to be fixed here. That's probably why he mentioned it. I do have a small list of things I'd like done. Some are repairs, for instance, the spigot handle outside is broken, and I have a towel rack that's about to come off the wall at any instant. I'd also like a couple of pictures hung. Oh, and I think it's about time for the smoke detector batteries to be replaced."

Tarleton was looking more cheerful now. "That would be wonderful. How about errands? Red said that you don't drive."

Myrtle said, "Red would say that. I don't have a car, but I can drive. I'll keep you in mind if I need something." She paused. "I suppose Red also mentioned that I'm not made of money as a retired schoolteacher? I'm not sure what your going rate is."

Tarleton cleared his throat, looking uncomfortable about talking about money. This from a man who'd been a banker his entire life. "Red mentioned something about his subsidizing anything you wanted to have done. Considering, he said, he wasn't having to do the work, himself."

"That makes sense," said Myrtle. "Well, good. Would you like to start tomorrow?"

Tarleton flushed and said earnestly, "If there's something that I can fix and stay out of both of your way, I'd be happy to get started right now. I have a tool chest in the car."

Myrtle asked, "I'm sure that must have been expensive—getting a set of tools."

"Oh, no ma'am. I've had these tools all my adult life. I was always fiddling with things at my house, when I wasn't busy at the bank," said Tarleton. "My father was quite the handyman, and I grew up helping him fix things."

"I'd no idea you were so handy. All right, I'll come up with a list. We'll leave the living room out of the list so that Miles and I can watch our soap," said Myrtle.