Chapter Ten

Although Myrtle would have been happy to stay for the entire basketball game, Miles was ready to leave at halftime.

"We talked with Adelaide. The principal apparently isn't going to watch the game. And it's very, very loud in here," said Miles.

It was true. Between the scoreboard buzzer indicating the many fouls, the buzzer to mark the quarters, the admirably ear-piercing cheerleading, and the squeaking of the players' shoes on the wooden floor, the noise was deafening. Myrtle, however, had been thinking too hard to really take very much notice.

"I suppose we could leave. Although the team is doing very well," said Myrtle grudgingly.

"That's another reason to leave. The girls are doing so well that there's not even the element of suspense. I doubt the other team will be able to scrape together fifty points in the second half, especially since they haven't been able to score a single time," said Miles. He stood up and carefully folded up his stadium seat, putting it on his shoulder.

Myrtle did the same. "This is the point in a game when I usually start pulling for the other team. The poor kids." She started hanging the seat on her shoulder and then handed it to Miles, instead. He sighed and slung it on his shoulder.

Back in Miles's car a few minutes later, Miles said, "So, back home? The game and talking to Adelaide were the big things we were supposed to knock out and those are done."

"Yes. But swing by the Piggly Wiggly for a minute on the way home. I want some tomato soup for supper and I'm sure I'm out," said Myrtle.

Soon they were walking the aisles in the Piggly Wiggly. Myrtle hadn't gotten a cart, but Miles insisted on getting one. "We've done this before," he said. "You'll say that we don't need a grocery cart because we're only getting one thing. But before you know it, you'll remember all the different things that you need at the store. I'll be holding them and dropping them sporadically all through the aisles like some demented version of Hansel and Gretel."

Myrtle arched her brows. "As I recall, some of those times involved you remembering that you'd run out of coffee or milk."

Miles carefully took a wet-wipe out of a bottle that the store provided by the carts and solicitously wiped the cart handle clean of any intrepid germs.

Myrtle sighed at the delay. Then she squinted, peering ahead. "Oh look," she said in her stage whisper, "there's your favorite person. Georgia Simpson."

Miles blanched a bit. "Oh no. This is why I avoided her call earlier. I don't think I can handle running into another book club member. Especially Georgia. She's liable to beat me up because she didn't like the story."

"Just because she's upset, it doesn't mean that she's going to become violent in the Piggly Wiggly," said Myrtle. "She's not that tough."

"What do you mean, not that tough? She's covered with tattoos, has big hair that never moves, and she draws her own eyebrows on. Her eyebrows always reflect her mood." Miles studied her. "She doesn't appear to be in a happy one, Myrtle."

"Don't be silly. I know you've always had a crush on Georgia. Let's go up and talk to her."

Miles said, "We should just leave her alone. She's entirely engrossed in checking out the various boxed meals."

"Georgia?" called Myrtle, giving Miles a look at the same time.

Georgia Simpson wheeled around and grinned at them. "Well, now, lookie here! Just the man I wanted to see." She glanced at Myrtle and said, "And hi to you, too, Myrtle."

Miles's face was completely awash with anxiety. "Me? What did you need to see me about, Georgia?"

"It's about book club. And that book you got us to read." Georgia's face was thunderous and Myrtle guessed that she must be upset about the selection, but then she realized that was Georgia's 'thinking' expression. Georgia muttered, "What was the name of that book, anyway?"