Chapter Sixteen

Myrtle said, "I never would have thought that Adelaide had such a short fuse."

"I never would have thought that Tarleton Fleming would catch me watching Tomorrow's Promise twice," said Miles. "Please let's not have it on when he returns with the fire extinguisher."

"It seems like a lot of people chose this morning to sleep in," said Myrtle. "First Clara, now Tarleton? That's sort of odd, isn't it?"

"It only seems odd to people who don't sleep," said Miles.

"All right, let's go ahead and watch the soap before some other interruption happens. Our popcorn is already cold, too. Pooh." Myrtle picked up a few offending kernels from the bowl.

"I don't think popcorn has to be served hot," said Miles. "They sell it already-popped at the store in bags."

"For lazy people," said Myrtle. "Because everyone knows that popcorn is better hot." She paused. "I wonder what would happen if I put it back into the microwave for a few seconds."

"Let's not find out," said Miles.

They settled down with their cold popcorn and drinks as Tomorrow's Promise started its dramatic intro music. Minutes later, Veronica was just telling Tristan that she was carrying his baby and not Stefano's when the show suddenly cut off.

"What on earth is happening!" demanded Myrtle. "Miles, did you hit a button on the remote?"

"The remote is on the table. It looks as if something else was recorded, instead," said Miles.

"What is this nonsense? Some sort of inane talk show?" Myrtle was enraged.

"Maybe you got distracted when you were setting up the recording and accidentally overrode the soap for this talk show," offered Miles.

"Certainly not! I know how to work my remote and my recording system. This is not my error." Myrtle's eyes narrowed. "I'll bet this has something to do with that Puddin. Puddin has been spending entirely too much unsupervised time in my house."

"Well, in the meantime, let's turn the TV off. The last thing I want is for Tarleton to add sleazy talk shows to the list of my favorite programs," said Miles morosely. He reached for the remote.

"I'm going to call that Puddin and give her a piece of my mind," fumed Myrtle, picking up the phone receiver.

Dusty picked up the phone. "Too hot to mow!" he bellowed in the phone.

"Don't be ridiculous. You wouldn't be mowing, you'd be weed-trimming around the gnomes. And, I'm technically calling for Puddin, I do need you to come back out today," said Myrtle.

"She done cleaned for you a lot lately," said Dusty. "Yer house gotta be clean. An' I mowed real short last time fer you. Shouldn't need mowin'!"

"It's as clean as a Puddin-style cleaning makes it. Which means it's halfway done. And our recent rains have made my grass grow up along the sides of my gnomes. So, yes, I do need you to come out again. It shouldn't take very long. And put Puddin on the phone. There was something else that I needed to talk with her about," said Myrtle.

A moment later a sullen-sounding Puddin was on the phone. "Yeah?"

"Puddin, I suspect that in your unsupervised time here, you've been messing with my program recording. You've overridden my Tomorrow's Promise for some sort of tacky talk show."

Puddin said, "Haven't touched it! You musta hit the wrong button or somethin'."

"I know how to work my electronics and I can promise you that I didn't hit any wrong buttons!"